Doesn't Apple know anything?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doesn't Apple know anything?

The more you scream no, the more people will do do the opposite. Psychology 101 people:

I didn't expect to see an x86 OS X for at least a few months, now I expect one in a few weeks

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Of course Apple doesn't lose much if they get OS X running on non-Apple x86 hardware. In fact, while they may not gain as much on sales initially (especially hardware), they gain a broader user base that has the potential to pull from that of other OS'.

It should get rather interesting soon.
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

If my information is correct OSX86 currently will only run on the Intel 915g chipset, as this is what Apple is using in their new Intel-chip systems and this is all they have driver support for. Of course, it's only a matter of time before drivers for other chipsets/devices begin surfacing, Which will ultimately prompt Apple to either do an OSX release providing full support for all Intel platforms or dump the whole thing and go back to Motorola chips!

Kevin

Comment

Didn't they dump motorola cause they weren't able to provide them with a decent G5 cpu for their portable series? (I think it was a heat issue, which is why they made the switch to Intel)
        Titanium is the new bling!
        (you heard from me first!)

Comment

osx86 running on AMD Athlon 64... Yumm..!
          "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Originally posted by ZokesPro
            Didn't they dump motorola cause they weren't able to provide them with a decent G5 cpu for their portable series? (I think it was a heat issue, which is why they made the switch to Intel)
            No, they dumped IBM because of that issue and others. Of course, IBM also had reasons to let Apple go as well, given they were now supplying chips to some big-name consoles.

Motorola was dumped years before in favour of IBM.

Comment

@Jesterzwild: Oops, I menat IBM instead of motorola.
              Titanium is the new bling!
              (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Just be glad the Sun mergers/acquisition never happened, else there'd be another to remember (and probably no more).

Comment

Originally posted by TransformX
                  osx86 running on AMD Athlon 64... Yumm..!
                  Only with some hacks. OSX86 uses Palladium.
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by KRSESQ
                    If my information is correct OSX86 currently will only run on the Intel 915g chipset
                    At least the current iMacs use the i945GM chipset. Pics at http://www.kodawarisan.com/
                    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Working...
                    X