Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Corrupt user profile cause of unknown problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corrupt user profile cause of unknown problems?

Hi MURC,

I recently installed my canon digital camera software since I hadn't done that yet since a reformat. After everything was installed, it wouldn't work. I won't go into the details. After a few days of tryign to get it to work, I finally called Canon tech support. First of all, I only waited 1 minute or so for a live person! On top of that, he knew exactly where my problem was and walked me through fixing it. So kudos to canon for a job well done.

OK, back to the real problem. So anyway, after we got all of the software installed again, I launch zoombrowserEX(canons software) and it crashes, doh! The guy on the phone has me try a few things but nothing works. He puts me on hold for a few minutes and when he came back he tells me that I likely have a corrupt user profile and that I should create a new profile and launch the software from there. Sure as shit! The software works under the new profile! I was shocked really. I didn't expect it to work.

So now I am wondering if there is a way to find out what is corrupted? I am currently copying my data from the old profile to the new one, but I suspect I will run into the same problem? Anybody have any experience with this? Thanks!
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Well, I copied all of the data over except for one folder and everything worked fine. Interestingly, the one folder that wouldn't copy over was "securom", which I know is a copy protection program. Doesn't sony own that one? It has some ****ed up files in the folder that windows couldn't recognize. My virus scanner won't even scan the files, like they don't exist or something. Here is a SS of the files:
    Attached Files
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

What are the contents of the Readme.txt file in that folder?

And yes copy protection are getting more and more intrusive .
      Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
      Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
      Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Kudos to Cannon indeed!
        Although the fact that they came to a solution so fast implies that this is a common fault and therefore potentially something that Cannon's software has caused.

Although it is clear that you have some corrupt files in your user proflie, that shouldn't result in other software malfunctioning, hence your obvious initial scepticism.

Glad to see that you've got it sorted though
        The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Working...
        X