Clear All

• slippery slope news...

First there was gay marriage...

and now

Legalize polygamy, study urges
    By DEAN BEEBY
    Thursday, January 12, 2006 Posted at 6:47 PM EST
    Canadian Press

Ottawa — A new study for the federal Justice Department says Canada should get rid of its law banning polygamy, and change other legislation to help women and children living in such multiple-spouse relationships.

“Criminalization does not address the harms associated with valid foreign polygamous marriages and plural unions, in particular the harms to women,” says the report, obtained by The Canadian Press under the Access to Information Act.

“The report therefore recommends that this provision be repealed.”

The research paper is part of a controversial $150,000 polygamy project, launched a year ago and paid for by the Justice Department and Status of Women Canada.

The paper by three law professors at Queen's University in Kingston, Ont., argues that Sec. 293 of the Criminal Code banning polygamy serves no useful purpose and in any case is rarely prosecuted.

Instead, Canadian laws should be changed to better accommodate the problems of women in polygamous marriages, providing them clearer spousal support and inheritance rights.

Currently, there's a hodgepodge of legislation across the provinces, some of which — Ontario, for example — give limited recognition to foreign polygamous marriages for the purposes of spousal support. Some jurisdictions provide no relief at all.

Chief author Martha Bailey says criminalizing polygamy, typically a marriage involving one man and several wives, serves no good purpose and prosecutions could do damage to the women and children in such relationships.

“Why criminalize the behaviour?” she said in an interview. “We don't criminalize adultery.

“In light of the fact that we have a fairly permissive society ... why are we singling out that particular form of behaviour for criminalization?”
    Ronald McDonald said it best: "I'm loving it!"

On a serious note... this is BS and I feel bad for any woman in this situation.
    Last edited by schmosef; 18 January 2006, 10:40.
    P.S. You've been Spanked!

I don't get why some guys would want to have more than one wife, other than pure ego. I can barely handle the one I've got!

Stiil, to each his own (or several, whatever).

Kevin

Comment

*still trying to get rid of the one i've got, no more for a while thanks.
      Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

I'm sure it requires a certain type of woman.. and a rich man. If I win the lottery, I think I'll move to Canada and get 10 or 12 mellow bisexual wives who are faithful to all within the marriage. It might help if they were all nudists. too..

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
          I'm sure it requires a certain type of woman.. and a rich man. If I win the lottery, I think I'll move to Canada and get 10 or 12 mellow bisexual wives who are faithful to all within the marriage. It might help if they were all nudists. too..
          Start out in mormon country
          We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Rumors to the contrary aside, I wouldn't count on there being many bisexual female nudists in Utah.

Kevin

Comment

LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by KRSESQ
                Rumors to the contrary aside, I wouldn't count on there being many bisexual female nudists in Utah.

Kevin
                I can vouch for that.
                "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

I'm with krsesq, who wants more than one? Seriously? Maybe those who've never had one?
                  FT.

Comment

Am all for polygamy, provided that women can also take multiple husbands. That way they can always find someone to fix the washing machine or put up that picture, so I can do what I want in peace.

I can understand the problem when a man already has legal polywives and multipolychildren from all of them and goes to a country, for whatever reason, where such things are criminal.
                    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Next step: I move to such a country for a few months, marry 12 beautiful horny obeying mormom bi-sexual women and return. Ahhh, fantasies, fantasies...
                      Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                      [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend
                        Next step: I move to such a country for a few months, marry 12 beautiful horny obeying mormom bi-sexual women and return. Ahhh, fantasies, fantasies...

HAHAHAHA, That is the funniest thing I have ever seen! (assuming you meant Mormon of course...)

You would be the one obeying...
                        "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend
                          mormom
                          OMG, that has got to be the biggest Oedipic Freudian slip in history.

Comment

Would you like a Freudian bra and panty set to go with your slip?
                            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                            If only life were as easy as you
                            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                            If only life were as easy as you
                            I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                              Would you like a Freudian bra and panty set to go with your slip?
                              what are you intimating?

Comment

Working...
                              X