Emergency UNSC meeting called re: Iran nukes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emergency UNSC meeting called re: Iran nukes

Because of Irans decision to re-start their nuclear program and their cutting of IAEA seals on their facilitities an emergency meeting of the UN Security Council is to be called by the UK, Germany and France with support from the US. Russia will not block their action.

China is yet to be heard from, but often they abstain when the US, EU and Russia are of one mind.

Newsweek is also reporting this;

Moscow and Beijing are more aligned with Washington than they have been in the past-all thanks to Ahmadinejad. On Wednesday, Russian Defense Minister Sergei Ivanov called Iran's decision “cause for alarm.”
    All nice and wonderful if really harsh economic sanctions could be implemented, but they have a patchy history at best.

IMO the only action that would be really effective would have to be taken by either NATO or Israel, and if it's the latter much of Iran will be turned into green and black glass.

The UN has neither the teeth or the guts to do what'll likely have to be done.

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 12 January 2006, 13:34.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
    and if it's the latter much of Iran will be turned into green and black glass.
    I've found Israel to be rather surgical in their actions so I really doubt this to be the case. In fact, _if_ it is going to happen, I hope for the Iranians it is the Israelis who do it.

Sanctions, IMO, will not work. Aside from who is right or wrong in this case, the fact is that any country suffering economic sanctions has withstood pressure for years. N-Korea has developed whatnot while having extremely little income.
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Economic sanctions are counterproductive. The dictator and his cronies eat while the people starve and are bombarded with propaganda saying it's the "great satan" USA's fault.

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
        Economic sanctions are counterproductive. The dictator and his cronies eat while the people starve and are bombarded with propaganda saying it's the "great satan" USA's fault.
        Referring to Cuba?
        We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

If we are talking about the UN, we are talking about multilateral sanctions. I am referring to the type of situation Saddam was under, and what North Korea is essentially under now.

Comment

Yeah, the UN is incapable of real meaningful action. It is a body whose usefulness has come to an end, other than to coddle dictators.
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            If only life were as easy as you
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            If only life were as easy as you
            I would still get screwed

Comment

Saddam and Castro have both laughed at mutilateral UN sanctions because there are too many countries (think: Oil for Food) used sanctions to make a killing in the grey/black markets.

This is why I'm thinking only NATO or Israel is up to the task of taking or destroying their nuclear infrastructure.

As for the UN coddling dictators, yes....it's definitely the megalomaniacs club. IMO other than its humanitarian missions it's been useless for over 30 years, ane even some of its humanitarian missions have left me ill; the molestation of little girls in Africa, Oil for Food, etc. etc. etc. etc.

Dr. Mordrid
              Dr. Mordrid
              ----------------------------
              An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
              X