REALLY tiny Power Supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• REALLY tiny Power Supply

apparently this was shown at CES 2006 on some mini-itx boards. With up to 96% efficiency this could be just the thing for a lot of small projects. My taste would run towards a small, quiet HTPC. However, I don't know how well that one molex connector would handle being split for a DVD drive and a hard drive.
    Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

It sure is expensive compared to a regular PSU.
    Titanium is the new bling!
    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Nice.
      check their website, they have a large assortment of other snap in power supplies ranging from 60-200w, ,aking them ideal for smaller projects.
      Their manual does state that you may split the molex connector on the picoPSU for more than one drive.
      You will still need another external 12v power suppy, and they do have units available for carPC operation.
      Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

It's a DC-to-DC power supply. So you would have an external AC-to-DC power supply, and this would simply distribute power within the HTPC. Very cool, though.
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

You would be suprised how small and effiecent they can make PSU's, however the switching elements to do this are very expenisive.

The fact it is 12volt could be thought of as a bonus, just hook it up to a car battery connected to a charger and you have a UPS with a very long run time.

Comment

Working...
          X