Green eggs and hamm anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green eggs and hamm anyone?

Transgenic pigs (and other critters) are valuable research tools because of their utility in studying human diseases. Tracking changes in some developing tissues is going to be easier, say a Taiwanese team that has introduced fluorescent, green proteins into the breeding. Said one of the researchers: 'There are partially fluorescent green pigs elsewhere, but ours are the only ones in the world that are green from inside out. Even their hearts and internal organs are green.

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service
    Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

I can see it now: restaurants where you can eat in the dark

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Transgenics freaks me out, because it's actually viable. Unlike cloning which is turning out to not be so easy after all, transgenics WORKS. Honestly, how long until they start inserting feline or canine DNA into people?

Not that it would be ALL bad... there are a lot of advantages to be had that way if they get it right. IF THEY GET IT RIGHT...
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      I would still get screwed

Comment

just thinking, if the ham goes bad, how would you know? 8P
        Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Transgenic pigs and other species are under development for human transplants in a procedure called "Xenotransplantation".

A simple form of xenotransplation has been performed for ages: heart valve transplants.

For more complex organs rejection becomes a larger issue than with heart valves. This requires DNA reprogramming in the source animals organs.

Basically you insert the portion of a patients DNA that prevents rejection into the animals zygotes and when a viable one grows up you slaughter it, harvest the organs and transplant them into the DNA donor. Keep a couple to breed and 50% of them will express the human DNA for future use, if necessary.

US FDA site: http://www.fda.gov/cber/xap/xap.htm

Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenotransplantation

AFAIK the Vatical has already approved of the procedure.

Dr. Mordrid
          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 12 January 2006, 16:03.
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Eating in the dark: http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/news...E-UK-BLIND.XML

Other transgenic technology:

This goat has been altered with spider dna to produce spider silk (in milk solution) in its milk glands. The reason why this was done is because spider silk is extremely strong and has unique properties. Using goats, it would be possible to produce much more spider silk than with spiders....

Plants that glow when they need water (using jellyfish dna).

IMO, it becomes scary to see what is possible...

Jörg
            pixar
            Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

eating in the dark in berlin and cologne: http://www.unsicht-bar.de/unsicht-ba...me_1_idea.html (the one in berlin is germany's first, and europe's biggest such restaurant. not cheap, though.)
              There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

The creepiest version of this I've heard was the integration of spider genes into goats, so now the goat's milk contains large quantities of spider silk, which can be used to manufacture very high strength materials. *shudder* Good idea, just... well... creepy.

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

It'll be interesting if those transgenic female goats learn to spin webs

Dr. Mordrid
                  Dr. Mordrid

Comment

It'd be interesting to have, say, panther genes. You could have 5x the human strength to weight ratio, night vision, and be super agile..

.. and probably be treated like the mutants in X-Men..

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
                      It'd be interesting to have, say, panther genes. You could have 5x the human strength to weight ratio, night vision, and be super agile..

.. and probably be treated like the mutants in X-Men..
                      This was, in fact, the entire premise behind the now-cancelled Fox show "Dark Angel". The main character did, in fact, have panther DNA... granting her exactly those powers you describe.

This character was, in fact, portrayed by Jessica Alba - thus granting her the ability to cause me to have major wood.
                      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                      I would still get screwed

Comment

Green eggs and Hamm's, anyone?

Kevin
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                          This was, in fact, the entire premise behind the now-cancelled Fox show "Dark Angel". The main character did, in fact, have panther DNA... granting her exactly those powers you describe.

This character was, in fact, portrayed by Jessica Alba - thus granting her the ability to cause me to have major wood.
                          Never saw the show, actually.. wow.. great minds..

Major Wood, eh? Was that the guy who was caught having Private Sessions in her bunk?

Comment

Saw said pigs on TV News last night. In ordinary light their hair was white, but the bare parts, such as the snout, had a greenish cast. What freaked me the most were their eyes, bright emerald! Under UV light, they were weird!

In view of what has happened re cloning in Korea, it would be very easy to fake the appearance of said pigs, a fluorescein bath and contact lenses would do the trick, as the report did not show any internal samples.
                            Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Such genetic marking has been used in research for years, so yes it's real. Fluorescent marking is also used in every diagnostic lab in the world as a means of staining antibodies etc. This is the best way to diagnose many diseases (ex: legionellosis, aka: legionaires disease).

Also: yes indeed, Jessical Alba as Dark Angel could indeed cause "wood"

Dr. Mordrid
                              Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 14 January 2006, 01:30.
                              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                              X