"WHy you should never accept diamond ring from anybody"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "WHy you should never accept diamond ring from anybody"

I recall there were discussions about this, but this sums most of issues nicely I think...

But what can you do? If the girl you love wants a diamond, how do you explain any of this to her?

I plan to buy a Canadian diamond. At least it won't be a conflct diamond.
    P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Originally posted by schmosef
      But what can you do? If the girl you love wants a diamond, how do you explain any of this to her?
      Any girl I want would be able to read and comprehend the implications of buying a diamond?
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I want a rational woman too. I've not met one yet. Even the ones that seem rational some days always revert to their natural state eventually.

Comment

My sister didn't want a diamond ring because she knew of this type of stuff. I was proud of her
          Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
          Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Originally posted by TnT
            My sister didn't want a diamond ring because she knew of this type of stuff. I was proud of her
            No no, you misunderstand. She still WANTS a diamond ring. She's just willing to forego it.

Much like I still WANT really cheap coffee, but I'm willing to buy fair trade because it's better for humanity.
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            If only life were as easy as you
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            I would still get screwed

Comment

So if the diamond engagement ring is an invention that's only 60 some odd years old... What did men use to propose in the past? Were other stones more popular? Did they not have engagement rings?

Comment

I think the person that compiled that list is a wacko...blaming African armed conflict and the stuff that goes along with it on the diamond trade??? She should more likely blame it on her friggin' great-grandparents, who started all the shit in Africa and India.

Nowhere, where do you find this stuff? If Doc is the American propagandist and schmosef and TransformX are all about Israel, you are surely the one that manages to find the most inane theories around
                All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

And while we're on the topic, why single out diamonds? I wouldn't think an emerald mine in Columbia has markedly better working/living conditions for the miners...miners all over the world have pretty much the shittiest job imaginable (not to mention being in constant danger).

A Hutu kid in Rwanda did not pick up a gun and start slaughtering Tutsis based on the evil diamond trade, he did it because of ethnic & social tension which was a direct result of the "divide et impera" policy of the colonial powers, in that case Belgium.

I have no doubt that the De Beers cartel has unethical business practices, but in case you've been living under a rock for the last 100 years, that is a "feature" of practically all big business...if you don't like it, the way out is not to not buy diamonds, but to live in a hippy commune, where you should grow your own food and make your own clothes.
                  All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

The solution? Be a jewel thief and steal one for her.

Comment

So if the diamond engagement ring is an invention that's only 60 some odd years old... What did men use to propose in the past? Were other stones more popular? Did they not have engagement rings?
                      Good whack to the head with a stout piece off a tree?
                      Lawrence

Comment

500 Billion small arms? Wait, I seem to have lost 80 of mine
                        FT.

Comment

I plan to buy a Canadian diamond. At least it won't be a conflct diamond.
                          That's why I choose "never accept", not "never buy". Ones beliefs are often changed a bit when it comes to a case like yours

Comment

Originally posted by lecter
                            I think the person that compiled that list is a wacko...blaming African armed conflict and the stuff that goes along with it on the diamond trade??? She should more likely blame it on her friggin' great-grandparents, who started all the shit in Africa and India.

Nowhere, where do you find this stuff? If Doc is the American propagandist and schmosef and TransformX are all about Israel, you are surely the one that manages to find the most inane theories around
                            Uhmmm...what? This wasn't presented directly as reason, mostly as a fact, a background of whole diamond thing...

Comment

Originally posted by lecter
                              And while we're on the topic, why single out diamonds? I wouldn't think an emerald mine in Columbia has markedly better working/living conditions for the miners...miners all over the world have pretty much the shittiest job imaginable (not to mention being in constant danger).

A Hutu kid in Rwanda did not pick up a gun and start slaughtering Tutsis based on the evil diamond trade, he did it because of ethnic & social tension which was a direct result of the "divide et impera" policy of the colonial powers, in that case Belgium.

I have no doubt that the De Beers cartel has unethical business practices, but in case you've been living under a rock for the last 100 years, that is a "feature" of practically all big business...if you don't like it, the way out is not to not buy diamonds, but to live in a hippy commune, where you should grow your own food and make your own clothes.
                              It's more about embargos than anything else, methinks. Much like the South African gold during apartheid. It really hurt the government of South Africa to not be able to export gold during those years.

But you are correct - Tanzanite mining is far more brutal than diamond mining. Strip mining in general has wrecked areas and made lives and working conditions miserable the world over. Diamonds shouldn't be singled out.
                              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                              I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
                              X