TV Tuner Cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV Tuner Cards

Anyone have any suggestions for a fairly low cost PCI TV Tuner Card thats compatible with Windows XP Media Edition 2005?
    Last edited by GT98; 8 January 2006, 19:47. Reason: spelling
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Not sure about compatibility, but my Hauppage PVR-250 is pretty good, and can be had for $130 from Circuit City.

Comment

I'm with Kooldino, it's one of the best ones that work in MCE2005.
      All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

The old analogue Hauppauge cards used to be Technotrend OEM cards with Hauppauge software, maybe that is still the case and you can get Technotrend cards cheaper.
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

The Hauppauge DVR-150 MCE is dirt cheap, and ONLY works with XP Media Center edition. I have one, and it's perfectly adequate for analog cable recording. I'm just waiting for two things:

HD tuner that supports CableCard
          Canadian cable companies to support CableCard

Maybe in a decade or two...
          Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

I think when Vista comes out it will have support for cablecards. I believe ATI will have a cablecard ready for Vista's release.
            Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Yeah, I read about that card. I'm more worried about the second point though. There's not as much pressure on the canadian cable companies to adopt cablecard for some reason. Here's hoping...
              Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

funny how ATI, located in Canada, will not sell the HDTV wonder to Canada, as there is no market for it
                We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Originally posted by tjalfe
                  funny how ATI, located in Canada, will not sell the HDTV wonder to Canada, as there is no market for it
                  That card only receives HDTV from over the air digital broadcasts on one port and regular TV broadcasts through the other port. It does look amazing if you can get some good stations in.

Comment

Not sure in re: windoze media ed. XP, but in general, I recommend Hauppauge over Pinnacle any day of the week.

Pinnacle has a reputation for abandoning customers and their own h/w w/i a few months of a purchase, then wants customers to pay up to 3/4 the price of their original h/w+CD for just a new CD. They call that a "discount." Avoid.

Not sure about ATI's stand-alone TV tuner cards, but there is the Always-Wonder-Pro series. Sometimes, though, ATI's drivers/media player will suck, and they will take months and months to release something that might work. In the case of the Rage Pro series and W9x, it was almost a year, but it finally worked. Mostly. In the case of the Rage128 series and Windoze 98, however, they never did. W2000 and the Rage128 seemed better. But if you EVER put a Rage128 anything into a W9x box, you are wasting your time.

w/o having tested things in your particular setup (XP media ed.), all I can offer are the above experiences and the following recommendadtions. Give Hauppauge a serous look. Avoid Pinnacle. Not sure in re: ATI. (Maybe call ATI and get a tech to swear on his left nut that it works.)
                    You were told - Sasq

Comment

Working...
                    X