X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Lai Hero Hugh Thompson Dies At 62

A true American Hero RIP.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/...n1185502.shtml

Hugh Thompson Jr., a former Army helicopter pilot honored for rescuing Vietnamese civilians from his fellow GIs during the My Lai massacre, died early Friday. He was 62.

Colburn and Andreotta had provided cover for Thompson as he went forward to confront the leader of the U.S. forces. Thompson later coaxed civilians out of a bunker so they could be evacuated, and then landed his helicopter again to pick up a wounded child they transported to a hospital. Their efforts led to the cease-fire order at My Lai.

In 1998, the Army honored the three men with the prestigious Soldier's Medal, the highest award for bravery not involving conflict with an enemy. It was a posthumous award for Andreotta, who had been killed in battle three weeks after My Lai.

"It was the ability to do the right thing even at the risk of their personal safety that guided these soldiers to do what they did," Army Maj. Gen. Michael Ackerman said at the 1998 ceremony. The three "set the standard for all soldiers to follow."

For years Thompson suffered snubs and worse from those who considered him unpatriotic. He recalled a congressman angrily saying that Thompson himself was the only serviceman who should be punished because of My Lai.

As the years passed, Thompson became an example for future generations of soldiers, said Col. Tom Kolditz, head of the U.S. Military Academy's behavioral sciences and leadership department. Thompson went to West Point once a year to give a lecture on his experience, Kolditz said.

"There are so many people today walking around alive because of him, not only in Vietnam, but people who kept their units under control under other circumstances because they had heard his story. We may never know just how many lives he saved."
    Last edited by cjolley; 7 January 2006, 09:41.
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

As a Vietnamese, I thank him.
    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

If such common decency were unpatriotic, I wouldn't want to live here.

I remember the scene in The Patriot where the guy is ordered by the superjerk to burn those people alive in the church. I think I woulda shot my superior officer before I would do such a thing, my own fate be damned.

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
        If such common decency were unpatriotic...
        Placing yourself between a machine gun and someone you don't even know strikes me as something more than "common decency".
        I don't know that I could do it.

But, I do know what you mean.
        Chuck
        秋音的爸爸

Comment

Thompson did exactly what the UCMJ (Uniform Code of Military Justice) says he should have. Good for him.

The UCMJ 809.ART.90 (20), makes it clear that military personnel need to obey the "lawful command of his superior officer," 891.ART.91 (2), the "lawful order of a warrant officer", 892.ART.92 (1) the "lawful general order", 892.ART.92 (2) "lawful order".

In each case military personnel have an obligation and a duty to only obey lawful orders, which also means they have a clear obligation to disobey unlawful orders. All orders to commit or conceal war crimes are unlawful, and so is not reporting them up the chain of command.

The actions ofThompson and his crew went above and beyond the call by confronting war criminals and rescuing as many villiagers as he could.

Dr. Mordrid
          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 7 January 2006, 15:57.
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
            Thompson did exactly what the UCMJ (Uniform Code of Military Justice) says he should have. Good for him.
            He sure paid for it though.

More info:
            http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/07/na...gewanted=print

http://www.nola.com/newsflash/louisi...list=louisiana

http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/proj.../Myl_hero.html

Meanwhile that slime William Calley still walks the earth a free man.
            What a crock.
            Chuck
            秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
            X