WD Raptor X 150 GB HDD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WD Raptor X 150 GB HDD

Western Digital is going to release an enthusist edition of the Raptor 150 HD, called the Raptor X...

See through enclosure

Cooooooooollllll.... from the "how we did it article:"

Transparent Lens: Finding a material that would withstand heat, pressure from 10,000 RPM turbulence and electrostatic discharge (ESD); provide a crystal-clear, unobstructed view of the disk and head assembly; and maintain high-volume manufacturability was a monumental challenge. WD finally settled on a special grade of crystalline polycarbonate and shaped the lens in a way that would maximize viewing area, structural rigidity and aesthetics. The team used laser Doppler vibrometers to determine optimal lens placement, while maintaining overall drive integrity. A unique ESD-dissipative coating, when used with the conductive frame, redirects an unwanted ESD charge out of harms way, protecting the read/write heads from potentially damaging zaps of static discharge. The lens is attached to the cover with a foam adhesive, chosen for its gap-filling and sealing capabilities.

Conductive Frame: The laminated frame that surrounds the lens must have conductive properties to enable an ESD charge to move through it, using it as a bridge between the surfaces it spans. The coated window lens and the cover are tied electrically through strategically placed bare-metal surfaces on the cover, thus creating a conductive unit. Conductivity in the frame is achieved with injection of microscopic carbon nanotubes into the frame adhesive. All this ensures that a wandering ESD charge built from you shuffling your feet across the carpet doesn't destroy the critical data, content and software you rely on WD Raptor X to protect.

But damn expensive @ $350. That's the cost of a 500GB drive.

Jammrock
    Last edited by Jammrock; 5 January 2006, 20:40.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Whats the standard orientation of HDD?, are their any transparent hdd racks available....bleh

I am not a fan of computer components as fashion items, but I guess schools could use them to demonstrate how hddd's work

Comment

Designed for LAN gamers who have tranparent cases (plexiglass) or windows in them. I can see this being a big ticket item for the l33t LAN gamer.

Example:

I just think it looks cool, but I'm not going to get a windows on my case just to buy one.
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Anyone remeber Blakes 7, that computer looks a little bit like orac . You have convinced me, I want one.

Comment

Time to buy a window, a couple of green lights and 120mm fans for my Antec P160 and matching Raptors
          Oh wait, my drives are positioned horizontally, dang

Comment

Already there but with UV, red, green and blue fans/lights....and moving the drive bay(s) isn't that hard to do

Dr. Mordrid
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

It's 50$ more than the windowless (server) model, with half the MTBF. Sure it's interesting, but it's too expensive for schools, they could just use some old HDs and open them - it's not like you could see the platters spinning at 10k rpm.
              There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by az
                It's 50$ more than the windowless (server) model, with half the MTBF. Sure it's interesting, but it's too expensive for schools, they could just use some old HDs and open them - it's not like you could see the platters spinning at 10k rpm.
                IBM has the PC62 already anyway.
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

What's the PC62 all about?

I KNEW they'd come out with this anytime now...with the recent price drops of their 74 gig drives, combined with the fact that i JUST bought one, I knew for sure a new one would come out immediately.

Kind of like how you know it's going to rain right after you wash your car.

Comment

What's the PC62? I don't really follow computer hardware anymore, and a quick google search only showed me refrigerators.

Comment

I think that's what it's called. IBM made a hard drive that was largely transparent, for teaching/demo purposes.
                      Last edited by Wombat; 6 January 2006, 15:46.
                      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Cool!

Comment

Working...
                        X