Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows Licensing on a pre-built machine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Licensing on a pre-built machine?

Ok, I know I'm going to run into this problem, because I have in the past.

At some point, I'll have a client with a Dell which is so far gone that it needs a fresh format.

They won't have the retore discs.

I'll want to format it and reinstall everything manually. However, the XP CD key on the side of their PC isn't going to work with a generic copy of Windows.

Do I make them but a new copy of Windows or what??

How old is the machine? If they dont have the recovery CD from Dell, your ****ed. I know that tired using Windows 2K on a home built machine from a dell work station and no worky

On the newer Dell PCs, the Windows Image is on a hidden partition on the Hard Drive
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

I hate working with Dells. I haven't run into your problem yet.

I've had that issue with various notebooks though, and the manufacturer was always willing to send replacment media. All we had to do was pay for shipping.

Anybody know if Dell will do this?
      P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Have them order the restore disks now. They should be able to do it by serial number. Otherwise, yes, they're not legally entitled to use a non-OEM copy of Windows.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Typically the restore disk comes with the system. I don't know if it's standard on the consumer versions, but the business versions all come with it. If the system is somewhat newer, or new, there should be a sticker on the case that has your Windows produt key on it. If push comes to shove you can use your "own" copy of Windows to install and use the product key on the case sticker. Just make sure you use the exact same version of Windows listed on the sticker.
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by GT98
            How old is the machine? If they dont have the recovery CD from Dell, your ****ed. I know that tired using Windows 2K on a home built machine from a dell work station and no worky
            Well, like I said, it hasn't happened yet, but I know it will.

On the newer Dell PCs, the Windows Image is on a hidden partition on the Hard Drive
            How do i access it?

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
              Have them order the restore disks now.
              Well, I probably haven't even met them yet. I'm just preparing for a case that will inevitably happen.

They should be able to do it by serial number. Otherwise, yes, they're not legally entitled to use a non-OEM copy of Windows.
              Even if they buy a new full version?

Comment

Originally posted by Kooldino
                Well, like I said, it hasn't happened yet, but I know it will.

How do i access it?
                On startup, there is an F key option to startup restore process if it has a hidden partition....
                Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

I had a problem once trying to use a Gateway 2K install CD on another machine that had come with 2K. The disc was all scratched up. I was able to use standard 2K boot floppies with the Gateway CD to work around this. I used the code from the PC with the scratched CD.

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
                    Typically the restore disk comes with the system. I don't know if it's standard on the consumer versions, but the business versions all come with it. If the system is somewhat newer, or new, there should be a sticker on the case that has your Windows produt key on it. If push comes to shove you can use your "own" copy of Windows to install and use the product key on the case sticker. Just make sure you use the exact same version of Windows listed on the sticker.
                    But Dell and some other companies have their own key ranges that only work with Dell's Windows disks.
                    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

how wrong is it to install with a regular OEM or retail CD, with your own Key then once installed, change the key over to match the one on the computer? .. there are key change programs out there
                      We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                        But Dell and some other companies have their own key ranges that only work with Dell's Windows disks.
                        Exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by tjalfe
                          how wrong is it to install with a regular OEM or retail CD, with your own Key then once installed, change the key over to match the one on the computer? .. there are key change programs out there
                          That's true, but I thought I did that before and it didn't work out as planned for some reason.

Comment

What model rescue disk are you looking for? If it's an Optiplex I may be able to get one for you.
                            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

ok, here what you do!
                              first see if you can make a dell xp cd from your installed software.

if the pc was made post july 2004 then it will have a dell restore partition. to use the restore you'll have to use ctrl+f11 at startup.

Comment

Working...
                              X