Uh.....Firefox?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uh.....Firefox?

So I keep getting this from my firewall...

'Firefox' from your computer wants to send UDP datagram to 255.255.255.255, port 67

...and it scares me. WTFBBQ?

Originally posted by Kooldino
    So I keep getting this from my firewall...

'Firefox' from your computer wants to send UDP datagram to 255.255.255.255, port 67

...and it scares me. WTFBBQ?
    I think its a DHCP discover request, you probably have been hijacked by a cws type adware/spamware , its trying to set it self up.

Try adaware, but may need to use something like cwsshredder or hijackthis to remove it. I have only seen this stuff happen on IE before, it'll be nasty if they have found a way of hijacking firefox.

Comment

Maybe it's set to automatically discover proxy settings or something?

Comment

ad aware came up clean.

Comment

Does your firewall not tell you the path and filename of the exe that's trying to connect?
          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

My installation does nothing of the kind, so I'd go with Marshmallowman; something is hijacking FireFox.

AdAware isn't always the best at detecting the "tough nuts". Hate to say it but on my system Microsofts does quite good in conjunction with AdAware.

Dr. Mordrid
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

When do these events happen?

is it when the browser starts up or certain pages, or just randomly?

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
                My installation does nothing of the kind, so I'd go with Marshmallowman; something is hijacking FireFox.

AdAware isn't always the best at detecting the "tough nuts". Hate to say it but on my system Microsofts does quite good in conjunction with AdAware.

Dr. Mordrid
                I agree, but I'm also running MS AntiSpyware. Again, clean.

Comment

Originally posted by Marshmallowman
                  When do these events happen?

is it when the browser starts up or certain pages, or just randomly?
                  It just started last night...when I was surfing myspace. But keep in mind I had 20 other tabs open as well.

Comment

I'm starting to think it's some other "firefox." See if you have two running, or something running when you close the browser.
                    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

That's what I was hinting at.
                      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

What is your firewall?

Does your PC have a static IP, if not where does it normally obtain it's IP address from?
                        When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

You could try Ethereal and see what the packets actually are.

Oh, and of course there's Process Explorer and TCPView, both of which are very handy for issues like this.
                          Last edited by Jon P. Inghram; 5 January 2006, 16:39.

Comment

Do what Jon says and get Ethereal. Once you capture the packet, post it here for us to look at.
                            Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by Taz
                              What is your firewall?
                              Kerio

Does your PC have a static IP, if not where does it normally obtain it's IP address from?
                              It's DHCP, but the router assings it a set IP based on it's mac address

Comment

Working...
                              X