Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server OS migration question

Hiya all!

I've a few quick questions if anyone has a moment.

I currently use 2003 Server on my ProLiant 6500.
    I have 2x18GB SCSI disks in a RAID1 array, albeit software by windows.
    The file storage is on 3x250GB ATA100 disks in RAID5 that are being controlled by an adaptec hardware ATA RAID controller.
    Now the adaptec raid controller doesn't officially support any OS newer than 2000, but XP will see it. Unfortunatley one of my ATA drives is throwing up bad sectors here there and everywhere, and as seagate doesn't offer advance shipping outside the US, i've had to wait until i'd bought a replacement before sending it back. My two new ATA drives (Seagate 250GB 8MB) should arrive by the end of the week and once i've transfered the data from the failing one to the new one, i will be able to receate the array.

Now the server had a fit when the ATA drive was connected to the RAID card. Event viewer reported loads of IO errors, which is to be expected. Suprisingly, the same drive was much happier when used without the RAID card in my XP desktop maching, so that's what I have been doing for the past month.

Here are my questions:

I will try and use the card with Server 2003 and hope that the IO errors were related to the failing drive. If i still get them, then i will have no choice but to convert to 2000 server. In that situation, i can presumuably format and install 2000 on one of the SCSI disks. If anything goes pear-shaped, then i can 'swap' the drives around and let 2003 server recreate the mirror. This should work shouldn't it?

The other problem is that the Proliant server doesn't have any molex connectors for adding additional harddrives - it uses the hotpulgable backplane. Is there anyway around this? I have been using a 2nd power supply to independantly power the HDs but this is a huge waste of electricity.. Any thoughts?

I do have a mind to jsut scrap the server and buy a cheap, modern PC as I am sure it will be just as effective, be more user friendly and have lower power consumption...

Cheers for any advice! :
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

If it's a RAID 5, why can't you remove the failing drive, ship it to Seagate, and run in degraded mode until you get the replacement? As long as the other two drives hold up, you're fine.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

If i still get IO errors on the array, despite using the new dives, I will have to accept the possibility that it is an OS issue. Would my method of rebuilding provide a safe backup?

Any thoughts on the whole PSU issue. At the moment I am using a 500W PSU for the proliant, and a seperate 500W PSU for the 3 drives
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Well PSU's are generally more efficent when not under full load, so it may save power?

Considering the whole setup is quite power hungry I would be inclined to leave the PSU as is and pipe the warm air it produces into your house during winter

Comment

A specific example of the I/O problem?

Also, what if it's your RAID controller that is flaking? A new drive won't fix that, and it wouldn't be a software problem.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I agree that the RAID card might be flakying out, although it was a new one.
            I guess I'll have to wait until the new drives are delivered

Comment

Is it an Adaptec ATA RAID 2400A ?
              When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

yeah it is

Comment

Uhm, I'd dump the card and get a Promise, 3Ware or Areca RAID controller

From what I've heard about the 2400A's they're slow and can be grief when a drive dies and your trying to replace it
                  When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Well the new drives arrived today and I cant get the server to boot with the Adaptec card in
                    It no longer works in my PC either - the machine wont POST.

It was working earlier today
                    I have tried cleaning the contacts and replacing the RAM module. Bugger!!!!

Anyone troubleshooted one of these 2400A cards before?
                    If I do need to get a replacement, what hardware ATA RAID 5 card would you suggest? Preferably one that will not break the bank!

Comment

I use a Promise FastTrak SX4000 which is a hardware assisted RAID 5 controller, this puts it between the cheap Highpoints, Silicon Image, etc. and the expensive 3Ware and Areca cards. It has a dedicated processor for calculating the parity information so performance is pretty good, above that of the Adaptec but below a 3Ware. The SX4060, which is an SX4000 with a 64Mb ECC DIMM, costs ~£110.

If you can stretch to a 3Ware card then that would be the best option, the Escalade 7506-4LP, which is a 4 channel RAID 5 controller, costs ~£230.

Comment

i use a NETRaid card that i scored @40ish USD (on ebay) and runs my 250 gig RAID5 array sweetly

Last edited by Dilitante1; 6 January 2006, 20:08.
                        Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Am I really better using a hardware RAID solution? As I am having to use two power supplies, and a home made backplane just to get this far, I have half a mind to pick up a old motherboard with 4 ATA ports and use Server 2003 to software RAID 5 them. If you think hardware RAID 5 is the way forward then I need to find another card. I am going for maximum storage + redundancy so RAID 5 seems ideal.

I dont really want to spend > £100 on another card, as this one is only 6months old

Comment

My mistake Paddy, I saw the scsi listing and linked accordingly, you are using ATA drives for your array....

YES hardware is better solution than software as it can REALLY tie up machine resources....
                            Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

no problems!

I've managed to source another hardware ATA RAID card on ebay. 3days left to go for the auction.

I am seriously considering selling the dual P2-400 proliant 6500 and replacing it with something more... standard. I should then be able to have everything in one enclosure.

I have seen a couple of dual P2 1GHz rigs on ebay for not too much cash.

Comment

Working...
                              X