X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supreme Commander

YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!

[Jammrock does the happy dance]

I don't know how this slipped by me. Supreme Commander is the "spiritual sequel" to Cavedog's (R.I.P.) Total Annihilation RTS game, and being developed by Chris Taylor who was the project lead for TA and now runs Gas Powered Games (Dungeon Siege). I don't know how this slipped past me, but I'm ecstatic! I've been waiting for a good new SciFi RTS, and with all the Blizzard people gone or hopelessly addicted to WoW, Starcraft II doesn't seem likely to be out any time soon.

[/Jammrock does the happy dance]

Early screenies:
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jammrock; 31 December 2005, 15:57.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

One last screenshot:
    Attached Files

Comment

Yeah, I saw this a while back and can't wait Still play TA (with TAUCP and unit count limit bounced up) at LAN parties every now and then. Always amazes me how fresh it looks over 10 years on, and how it can just soak up the hours...
      DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

To me, TA is still the best RTS ever made.
        "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Slightly OT, but does anybody know of any good turn based strategy games in the making? (Or at least one of these real-time-with-pause bastard children of tb and rt)
          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

There's CIV4 and the latest GalCiv
            "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Excellent, I still play TA on occasion as well.

Comment

Wow!
                This looks good...

I also still play TA

Hope they don't slip the schedule on this game!

Comment

Darn it!!

Read the title and thought 3rd Rock From The Sun might be coming back

Dr. Mordrid
                  Dr. Mordrid
                  ----------------------------
                  An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
                    YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!
                    YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!
                    Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                    Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
                      Darn it!!

Read the title and thought 3rd Rock From The Sun might be coming back

Dr. Mordrid
                      Don't make me hurt you!

From the preview:
                      Chris Taylor, the game design guru behind Total Annihilation, is returning to the real-time strategy scene with a game so immense that "supreme" might be too delicate a word. The modern RTS, Taylor asserts, has been moving inward: in games like Warcraft III you deal up close with individual units or small squads. Taylor wants to move outward. Real strategy happens before the battle, he claims, when you're managing an economy, evading the enemy, gearing up a massive war machine, finding out about your opponent's armament, and striking hardest where it'll hurt the most. Like Eisenhower in World War II, in Supreme Commander you'll be commanding fleets and armies on the grandest of scales. Although Supreme Commander clearly takes a page from Total Annihilation's book, this is an all-new franchise on a scale that dwarfs any other RTS on the market.
                      Apparently you can zoom in close enough to see a single unit and out far enough to see the entire map. Look at the nuke picture and you can see a fairly far back zoom.

I've already warned my wife that I will be indesposed for a month when the game comes out.

Chris Taylor has been hinting at the game for a while. I think GPG has been working on it for at least 2 years, and considering they are not Blizzard and looking at the screen shots, the date probably won't slip.

Comment

"Interestingly, Supreme Commander plans to offer cooperative play within the single-player campaign. This is a great feature that's long overdue: you and a friend can both tackle the plot together. There are three separate single-player campaigns, one for each faction. Several different missions will take place on each planet, and the base you build for one mission on a planet will carry over to the next mission -- that should speed up the action considerably."

Sweet! I love coop games! Last LAN I was at, about 5 of us went through Quake1 and Quake2 coop - very fun
                        Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                        Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Defintely cool having an explicit coop mode in single player.

In TA you could pretty much do it anyway, you start up computer opponets and then ally with each other. I had a weird experience once, started a multiplayer with one AI on each computer (all in battle), the AI's beat both us human players and ended up slogging it out quite an epic battle with the other AI

Its fun to watch TA with all the flash add on units and AI obliterating away at maximum game speed

Thats with tweaked AI and 2000 unit limit.

Comment

Working...
                          X