X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dinner for One

I just thought this was interesting.
    http://www.slate.com/id/2133551/

Every New Year's Eve, half of all Germans plunk down in front of their televisions to watch a 1963 English comedy sketch called Dinner for One. Walk into any bar in Bavaria and shout the film's refrain: "The same procedure as last year, madam?" The whole crowd will shout back in automatic, if stilted, English: "The same procedure as every year, James." Even though Dinner for One is, according to the Guinness Book of World Records, the most frequently repeated TV program ever, it has never been aired in the United Kingdom or the United States, and most of the English-speaking world is ignorant of its existence. When Der Spiegel probed the mystery last New Year's, it found that the BBC had not only never contemplated broadcasting this veddy British nugget in the United Kingdom, the BBC's spokesperson had never even heard of it.
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Whenever I tell friends that I have never seen it, they won't believe me. I wouldn't have thought, though, that it was never aired in the UK. Why did you find this so interesting?
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by az
      Whenever I tell friends that I have never seen it, they won't believe me. I wouldn't have thought, though, that it was never aired in the UK. Why did you find this so interesting?

"I wouldn't have thought, though, that it was never aired in the UK"

and it's in English.

Just kind of a neat oddity, like a clean Rocky Horror Picture Show.
      Chuck
      秋音的爸爸

Comment

perhaps pure curiosity. some day james will finally fall over the tigers head.

yes, I have seen it several times.

mfg
        wulfman
        "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
        "Lobsters?"
        "Really? I didn't know they did that."
        "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

This is also shown every year on danish television. It's as much a tradition here as in germany.

I have seen it lots of times (and i will see it again this year ).
          Laptops: ASUS G750JM: Intel Core i7 4700HQ, 8GB RAM (DDR3-1600), Nvidia GTX 860M, 1 x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD, 1 x WD 750 GB HDD, 17,3" FHD Screen, Windows 8.1 64-bit.
          ASUS Vivobook S400CA: Intel Core i5 3317U (1,7-2,6 GHz), 8 GB RAM (DDR3-1600), Intel HD4000, 1 x 500GB HDD, 14" touch-screen (1366x768), Windows 8.1 64-bit.

Comment

So this is an English sketch/play that's shown annually around the world, but not in England itself
            When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Originally posted by az
              Whenever I tell friends that I have never seen it, they won't believe me.
              You've never seen it???

Titanium is the new bling!
              (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Don't feel bad az, I've never seen/heard of it either. Doesn't sound like we missed much.

Dr. Mordrid
                Dr. Mordrid
                ----------------------------
                An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I don't know if I missed much, but at least what I missed wasn't the point

The day will come when I'll see it though, just not this year
                  There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Working...
                  X