No announcement yet.

Can't access moved drive (XP security?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't access moved drive (XP security?)

I have a drive that I moved from a broken computer.
    It was a raid mirror.

When I try to access the files I get a no access error.
    Like I don't have rights to it.
    But, I am logged on as administrator.
    There doesn't seem to be any way for me to take over the drive.

I know the files are there because:
    1, MS backup can see them.
    2, Norton Disk Doctor can see them

I haven't tried using backup to move them and then restore to a new partiton because
    I assume they will restore with the same security level.
    Is this wrong?

NDD won't touch it.

How can a drive in a computer be locked away from the Administrator account?
    How can I take it over?

I tried setting the admin password to the pw it had on the old computer, but that didn't help.

Might renaming my computer to the name of the old one help?

Obviously, I don't know much about admin stuff in XP.

PS workgroup, not domain
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

You could try changing the ownership of those files by right clicking on the file/folder, selecting Properties from the menu, Security tab, Advanced, Owner tab and selecting a valid user. You'll probably want to tick the Replace owner on subcontainer and objects checkbox. Once you've done that you can then change permissions for that file/folder.
    When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

I cant browse the files.
      I seem to be locked out at the drive level.
      Or perhaps partition level.
      (the partition is not hidden though)
      Last edited by cjolley; 30 December 2005, 11:47.
      Chuck
      秋音的爸爸

Comment

What does it show up as under Disk Management?
        When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

It shows up as a HD, shows size etc.

I'll have to check when I get home, but it seems like it showed up as full and kind of greyed out.

Partiton Magic showed the amount the disk is filled with files.

It's like I can almost get to it, but not quite. :frustrated:

PS we need a "frustrated" emoticon.

PPS It looks like I might be able to get to a security tab for the drive if I dissable "simple file sharing".
          I'll give it a try when I get home.
          Last edited by cjolley; 30 December 2005, 12:41.
          Chuck
          秋音的爸爸

Comment

I HATE simple file sharing. It causes me nothing but grief.
            Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

I don't share off of my main machine, so I probably haven't messed with the setting.
              Chuck
              秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by Claymonkey
                I HATE simple file sharing. It causes me nothing but grief.
                Yep, it actually makes things less simple

Comment

tech says,"Ok Miss. You can share files but you have to put them in this premade share folder"

client says, "..... What's a folder?"
                  Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Woo hoo! All that training I did is actually going to pay off!

RAIDs are tagged by Windows and cannot be simply put into a new system. Open up Disk Management, right click on the RAID (the actual spot that says Hard Drive X, not the partition graphical thing), and select Import Foreign Disks....

After that you may need to right-click again and Reactivate Disk or repair RAID ... I can't remember which. It's been a while since I've played with RAID.
                    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
                      Woo hoo! All that training I did is actually going to pay off!
                      It will have to be next time.
                      It was a hardware raid.
                      Windows doesn't even know it existed.
                      Chuck
                      秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by cjolley
                        It will have to be next time.
                        It was a hardware raid.
                        Ah .. you didn't have that in your post. Either way, try the repair/reactivate/import options in Disk Management. If those do not work you will have to repair the RAID from the RAID BIOS. Or, since it was a mirror, put only one disk in and break the RAID ... probably in the RAID BIOS.

Like I said, it's been a while since I've done RAIDing, so I am very rusty.
                        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

It was a hardware raid.
                          what level 0,1,5? and are all disks there from origional raid setup?
                          Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Originally posted by cjolley
                            It was a hardware raid.
                            What Jammrock has said should still apply though

I knew there was something you had to do in Disk Management but couldn't remember what

Comment

yup taz and jamm are on the right track.

Windows will sometimes - depending on the disk type flag drives as belonging to a pc. you need to import the forign disk to break the various locks that windows puts in place on the disk. or the system will not allow you to access the drive.

as for breaking the raid, I am not sure, if it was raid 1 you should be ok, but I am not sure what weird stuff the previous controler might have done.

What partition types etc does partition magic tell you the partitions are. It is possible windows will not see the partition of nativley without the original controlers translation interface.
                              Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Working...
                              X