Microsoft buys Opera?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft buys Opera?

Sure as hell hope this isn't true: Microsoft buys Opera...
    Main Machine: Intel Q6600@3.33, Abit IP-35 E, 4 x Geil 2048MB PC2-6400-CL4, Asus Geforce 8800GTS 512MB@700/2100, 150GB WD Raptor, Highpoint RR2640, 3x Seagate LP 1.5TB (RAID5), NEC-3500 DVD+/-R(W), Antec SLK3700BQE case, BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 530W

it's not

Comment

The rumor came about after John Dvorak, popular PC technology editor, reviewer, commentary guy that works for PC Magazine, said that MS needs to scrap their ancient IE code and just buy up Opera. His reasoning being that IE is just a jumble of code and modules that MS bought from other companies (typical MS procedure). If MS were to buy Opera they would get what many consider to be the fastest rendering browser, all with unified code and is relatively secure. MS would simply need to tweak it a bit, throw the IE logo on it and bam ... IE 7 without much work.

That and Opera can spoof being IE already, so it wouldn't be too much of a stretch.

Article here: http://www.marketwatch.com/news/arch...%26minisite%3D

You need to sign up or find a bugmenot to read it all...
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Except that Opera has gotten buggier and buggier since version 7. At least Microsoft has found and fixed MOST of the memory leaks in IE, whereas in Opera they get worse and worse with every iteration.

Not to mention that many MANY sites - useful important ones like Superpages - don't render properly with Opera. Oops!
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        If only life were as easy as you
        I would still get screwed

Comment

Too bad the guy is named the same as one of keyboard layouts, I guess that's the only thing giving him credibility in the eyes of many

MS would never do something like that - it will be admitting "our product sucks in comparison and we couldn't repair it anymore"

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
            Except that Opera has gotten buggier and buggier since version 7. At least Microsoft has found and fixed MOST of the memory leaks in IE, whereas in Opera they get worse and worse with every iteration.

Not to mention that many MANY sites - useful important ones like Superpages - don't render properly with Opera. Oops!
            Yeah, oops... we hired a developer/designer that couldn't do more than click around in Dreamweaver
            “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

you could always unhire him/her
              We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Originally posted by tjalfe
                you could always unhire him/her
                That was a rhetorical 'we' for starters, but it's been my experience that big companies don't really care about such things when it relates to the web, because to most people it's not readily apparent.
                “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

JCD was interesting back when he used to write a column for Mac User magazine. Now he's just a blowhard.
                  P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Just stick with firefox. I made the switch after 1.5 came out. I admit I became a fan of tabbed browsing with IE 7.0 beta, but that thing is so buggy that I only start it up to see a couple of sites that FF can´t display properly because of proprietary ActiveX code. And for windows update, also. For all other things Firefox just seems to do it the right way and faster than IE.
                    Last edited by Nuno; 25 December 2005, 06:02.

Comment

Working...
                    X