Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Mental time travel"....

is how they're discribing how memories are retreived;

To recall memories, your brain travels back in time via the ultimate Google search, according to a new study in which scientists found they can monitor the activity and actually predict what you'll think of next.

The work bolsters the validity of a longstanding hypothesis that the human brain takes itself back to the state it was in when a memory was first formed.

The psychologist Endel Tulving dubbed this process "mental time travel."
    Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Whenever I'm trying to remember something in detail I always try to take myself back to those events and imagine them happening again.
    P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

And for a long time it was "known" that we remember best things which happened when we were in similar mood/similar circumstances to the present ones.

Comment

Actually, this lines up with the best explanation I've heard of for when one gets a sense of deja-vu (sorry, can't be arsed to do the accents).

IIRC, the experience you are having now (i.e. a minute ago) gets "filed" in your mind where older memories are usually put. So that immediately you have a sense of "I've been here before," even though it is not actually the case, you are convinced it is. Wierd feeling, anyway.
        DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Nahhh....it's really that you're trapped in the Matrix

Dr. Mordrid
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I must admit I'd like to learn kung fu in 5 seconds
            Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Working...
            X