1080p becoming more widely available

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1080p becoming more widely available

Starting to see some BIG (over 70"s!) DLP rear projection tv's with 1080p on the market, from Samsung and Toshiba, and I'm sure many others.

1080p seems to be the "ultimate" in hi-def and looks like it will be for quite some time to come.

Now bring on the HD content already!!!

Here's a 72" 1080p from Toshiba
    Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
    Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

ATI & 1080p - available in the full X1000 lineup with new 5.13 driver.
    Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)

Comment

We've sold a couple of 73" Mitsubishis already.

Comment

Originally posted by |Mehen|
        1080p seems to be the "ultimate" in hi-def and looks like it will be for quite some time to come.
        I'll remember that comment later this year.

Comment

1080i is the highest resolution supported by the ATSC broadcast standard. FOr non-broadcast media it goes up to 1080p. However, there are already people who are trying to bump up the resolution already ... though mainly for professional and enthusist use.

The film industry wants to double the 1080p resolution, stating that 1080p just doesn't cut for the big screen theaters. On top of that, I can't remember/find the article, there was some other comapny that is trying to release a higher resolution video standard on their own for enthusist use.
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Enter UHDV AKA: Super Hi-Vision; a format being pushed by NHK, Ikegami Tsushinki, JVC and DALSA (a high-tech imaging h/w company hq'd in Waterloo, Ontario).

UHDV’s major features include 7,680 × 4,320, a refresh rate of 60 fps, 22.2 audio and a 100-degree field of view

At ~33 megapixels it might take 10 years to get there but oh boy! if/when they do. Reports are that during the first test in 2003 some viewers got motion sickness during scenes depicting the view while driving. This is deemed to be a side effect of the resolution, wide field of view and the in-frame motion.

22.2-channel audio?

9 above ear level, 10 at ear level, 3 below ear level and 2 LFE's

Dr. Mordrid
            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 3 January 2006, 23:30.
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

yes. reality pales to insignificance.

Comment

I donnow. Would movies like Le fabuleux destin d'Amelie Poulin or Sexo por compasion really be better at higher resulotions and stuff??
                Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

I was being ironic there. Sorry if it didn't translate.

Comment

And yet, I've had folks comment how sharp my DLP projector looks at 480p
                    Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
                      Enter UHDV AKA: Super Hi-Vision; a format being pushed by NHK, Ikegami Tsushinki, JVC and DALSA (a high-tech imaging h/w company hq'd in Waterloo, Ontario).

UHDV’s major features include 7,680 × 4,320, a refresh rate of 60 fps, 22.2 audio and a 100-degree field of view

At ~33 megapixels it might take 10 years to get there but oh boy! if/when they do. Reports are that during the first test in 2003 some viewers got motion sickness during scenes depicting the view while driving. This is deemed to be a side effect of the resolution, wide field of view and the in-frame motion.

22.2-channel audio?

9 above ear level, 10 at ear level, 3 below ear level and 2 LFE's

Dr. Mordrid
                      Wonder what size of mastering studio this will require, with all those monitor speakers!!

Comment

Dunno, but if I have to get seasick to edit video

Dr. Mordrid
                        Dr. Mordrid
                        ----------------------------
                        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
                          I was being ironic there. Sorry if it didn't translate.
                          It did. I was more reflecting on the hi-tech "goodies" Doc announced. Sorta in line with your sentiment I guess.
                          Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

I think for 99% of the users, you will be hard pressed to find content higher than 1080p. HD/BlueRay will be no more than that, the PS3/360 will be no more than that, most video cards on computers can't do much more than that. I am predicting 1080p will last well into the next decade.
                            Hell, most people aren't even beyond 480i yet.

Comment

I just saw a demonstration of a 1080 display. Apparently, Philips supplied 30 stores in Belgium with a 1080 demo-box: it has an 80 GB drive which holds <10 minutes of HD footage. The box is connected via RGB to various LCD displays.
                              The result is AWESOME .

For the Belgians: The dealer said that Telenet will start to broadcast some stations in 1080 around April. Of course, it will have a higher compression ratio than that demo box. Oh, and if you don't have a cabletuner or digibox, get ready to loose another number of stations (FR2, TMF, JimTV and perhaps others).

Jörg
                              pixar
                              Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Working...
                              X