MediaStudio Pro 7.0 & AC-3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MediaStudio Pro 7.0 & AC-3

I have a question for those of you still using version 7.0 of MediaStudio Pro.

Can you CREATE a template for editing MPEG videos with AC-3 audio?

I only see options for LPCM and MPEG AUDIO.

I can use the FILE > CREATE mechanism to EXPORT video with AC-3 AUDIO.

But I can't seem to create a "SMART RENDER" editing template.

Maybe I've always assumed this was possible, but was mistaken.

Thanks for any help.

Jerry Jones
    I found a great domain name for sale on Dan.com. Check it out!

You are right. You CAN'T create a template with AC3 audio. Only PCM and MPG.

But it doesn't matter. I don't remember what happen if you pick a clip with AC3 audio (I mean if MSPro refuses it), but if you can put it on the timeline, you can do final clip whith AC3 audio. For (theorical) better accuracy, I will do a template with PCM (uncompressed) audio.

Comment

The not-so-funny thing is that I wiped my computer's hard drive and re-installed Windows because I formerly *thought* that one *could* create an AC-3 editing template and I thought something might have gone wrong with my system.

Oh well, live and learn.

You are correct, by the way.

I do have the option of using the FILE > CREATE mechanism to export the timeline with AC-3 AUDIO and the Smart Render feature seems to work fine.

I've just tested some clips from the JVC hard disk camcorder:

The camcorder creates proprietary extension MPEG-2 video clips... with an ".MOD" extension.

I simply changed the extension to ".mpg" and then they were instantly recognized by Ulead MediaStudio Pro 7.0.

The camcorder shoots in 4:3 and 16:9 aspect ratios.

However, the 16:9 clips are recognized by MediaStudio Pro as 4:3 clips.

So - one has to change the clip headers using a FREE program called DVD PATCHER:

DVD Patcher is a tool to change the video headers in mpg/mpeg2/vob video. Change aspect ratio, framerate, resolution/size and bitrate.

This changes the 16:9 clip headers so that Ulead MediaStudio Pro 7.0 will recognize the clips as 16:9 aspect ratio clips.

The BIG, MAJOR DEFECT of the JVC GZ-MC500 is the lack of an EXTERNAL MICROPHONE input.

There's a new Sony DVD disc camcorder that records to DVD+RW as well as DVD-RW.

It's pretty cool.

It's called the Sony DCR-DVD403 model and the image quality is recognized by the reviewers as being MUCH BETTER than the image quality typical of previous DVD camcorder models.

Here's a sample review:

Get full-length product reviews, the latest news, tech coverage, daily deals, and category deep dives from CNET experts worldwide.

Both the Sony and JVC models record AC-3 AUDIO, which is why I'm interested in native MPEG-2 editing.

What about version 8.0 of MediaStudio Pro?

Does anybody know if one can create an editing template for MPEG VIDEO with AC-3 audio?

Thanks,

Jerry Jones
      Last edited by Jerry Jones; 24 December 2005, 13:15.

Comment

I just set up the project for MPEG and use AC3 on the timeline as is. It RT's just fine and exports go as expected.

Dr. Mordrid
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Yes, but when you set up your editing *TEMPLATE,* are you still constrained to selected either MPEG AUDIO or LPCM?

I agree, it really doesn't matter. Even in version 7.0, one can still "hear" the AC-3 AUDIO of the source clips in the timeline even though one can't create a formal editing template specifically for editing MPEG VIDEO with AC-3 AUDIO (one has to choose either MPEG AUDIO, LPCM AUDIO or NO AUDIO).

But I am able to FILE > CREATE the timeline... and then the export dialogue box presents me with an option to check Smart Render and I can now select AC-3 as the export audio format and the timeline can be exported... with Smart Render... so that as much quality as possible of the original MPEG video/audio can be preserved.

Can you now create an AC-3 AUDIO *template* in version 8.0?

Jerry Jones

Comment

Yes. As long as selecting a DVD preset is the jumping off point you can select LPCM, MPEG or Dolby. It can be stereo or multi-channel (DD 3/2).

We're trying to get Ulead to allow Dolby to work with the MPEG-2 profile as well, but that'll be a service pack change if we convince 'em.

Dr. Mordrid
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

You shouldn't use v 7.0! SP3 will convert it to v. 7.3.

The template should ideally use LPCM and you convert to AC-3 only when rendering to DVD format, IMHO. I believe editing compressed audio is not a good thing and compression is only for distribution.
              Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Certainly not WMA or MP3 etc, but I've not had problems doing reedits with Dolby.

Agreed: update to SP3.

Dr. Mordrid
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Sorry, I typed 7.0.

Yes, of course, I already had installed the latest patches.

My ABOUT says "7.30.0003 HD Plug-in 2.0."

Sorry I conveyed the impression I was using version 7.0 without patches.

Brian, I would remind you that HDV uses MPEG AUDIO - A COMPRESSED AUDIO FORMAT - for editing.

So I really can't understand the difference between editing HDV'S MPEG AUDIO, a compressed format, and AC-3, which is just another compressed audio format.

At any rate, the new hard disk and DVD camcorders utilize AC-3.

EXAMPLE, the stunning new Panasonic SDR-S100:

Unfortunately, it doesn't come with a microphone input.

So a person would have to record using a separate Sony mini-disc recorder or some other device to get dialogue and clean audio in the field and then use a clap board to sync it up in post:

But the image quality of this tiny new Panasonic unit is said to be very good:

Most of the future camcorder designs will feature AC-3 (Dolby) audio recording capability.

The Sony DCR-DVD403 actually records DOLBY 5.1 (AC-3, multi-channel):

Jerry Jones

Comment

Working...
                  X