Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intelligent Design gets bitch slapped

All I can say is Thank God.

The citizens of the Dover area were poorly served by the members of the Board who voted for the ID Policy. It is ironic that several of these individuals, who so staunchly and proudly touted their religious convictions in public, would time and again lie to cover their tracks and disguise the real purpose behind the ID Policy.

With that said, we do not question that many of the leading advocates of ID have bona fide and deeply held beliefs which drive their scholarly endeavors. Nor do we controvert that ID should continue to be studied, debated, and discussed. As stated, our conclusion today is that it is unconstitutional to teach ID as an alternative to evolution in a public school science classroom.

Those who disagree with our holding will likely mark it as the product of an activist judge. If so, they will have erred as this is manifestly not an activist Court. Rather, this case came to us as the result of the activism of an ill-informed faction on a school board, aided by a national public interest law firm eager to find a constitutional test case on ID, who in combination drove the Board to adopt an imprudent and ultimately unconstitutional policy. The breathtaking inanity of the Board’s decision is evident when considered against the factual backdrop which has now been fully revealed through this trial. The students, parents, and teachers of the Dover Area School District deserved better than to be dragged into this legal maelstrom, with its resulting utter waste of monetary and personal resources.

To preserve the separation of church and state mandated by the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment to the United States Constitution, and Art. I, § 3 of the Pennsylvania Constitution, we will enter an order permanently enjoining Defendants from maintaining the ID Policy in any school within the Dover Area School District, from requiring teachers to denigrate or disparage the scientific theory of evolution, and from requiring teachers to refer to a religious, alternative theory known as ID. We will also issue a declaratory judgment that Plaintiffs’ rights under the Constitutions of the United States and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania have been violated by Defendants’ actions.

Defendants’ actions in violation of Plaintiffs’ civil rights as guaranteed to them by the Constitution of the United States and 42 U.S.C. § 1983 subject Defendants to liability with respect to injunctive and declaratory relief, but also for nominal damages and the reasonable value of Plaintiffs’ attorneys’ services and costs incurred in vindicating Plaintiffs’ constitutional rights.

NOW, THEREFORE, IT IS ORDERED THAT:
    1. A declaratory judgment is hereby issued in favor of Plaintiffs pursuant
    to 28 U.S.C. §§ 2201, 2202, and 42 U.S.C. § 1983 such that
    Defendants’ ID Policy violates the Establishment Clause of the First
    Amendment of the Constitution of the United States and Art. I, § 3 of
    the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
    2. Pursuant to Fed.R.Civ.P. 65, Defendants are permanently enjoined
    from maintaining the ID Policy in any school within the Dover Area
    School District.
    3. Because Plaintiffs seek nominal damages, Plaintiffs shall file with the
    Court and serve on Defendants, their claim for damages and a verified
    statement of any fees and/or costs to which they claim entitlement.
    Defendants shall have the right to object to any such fees and costs to
    the extent provided in the applicable statutes and court rules.

s/John E. Jones III
    John E. Jones III
    United States District Judge

Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

I'm to busy to get involved in that other recent ID thread. This pains me and I'm sorry. Hurray for this case.

I just watched an episode of Charmed (don't ask) and found it presents me with as much understanding of the universe as ID does.

I am amazed by seemingly sensible people who argue, correctly, that theories may turn out to be wrong, may be unable to explain all observations within its scope then turn to promote ID, which explains nothing at all, is not provable nor testable/disprovable. It ain't scientific. Believe what you want but keep the hell away from the education of my kids. We do not need more indoctrination.
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

The quick recap:

1. US District Judge has ruled that a policy of teaching ID is unconstitutional. This sets precedent to extend the decision across the country.

2. Not only is it unconstitutional, but that those who foist ID off on a school district are MONETARILY LIABLE, because doing so violates the civil rights of those stuck with the decision.

3. The judgement's wording essentially headed off any arguments against it, and bitch-slapped the evil schemers behind ID.

---------------

That said, I too find it ironic that people (Christians) who pride themselves on honesty and integrity... repeatedly LIE about the motivation behind ID.
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      I would still get screwed

Comment

This was my personal favorite:

The breathtaking inanity of the Board’s decision is evident when considered against the factual backdrop which has now been fully revealed through this trial. The students, parents, and teachers of the Dover Area School District deserved better than to be dragged into this legal maelstrom, with its resulting utter waste of monetary and personal resources.

Chuck
        秋音的爸爸

Comment

Finally, someone with sense puts ID in it's place. Good riddance.
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Here is a good recap of the trial

Kitzmiller provides an excellent case study of evolution in action; ironically, in this case how the language of creationists has adapted to changing cultural environments. The defense argued that Intelligent Design is an entirely new species unrelated to creation science, and the plaintiffs expertly demonstrated both the clear ancestral relationship between creationism and ID and the selective pressure of higher court decisions that caused the speciation. With that phylogenetic relationship clearly established in the trial, the judge evidently decided that creationism had not mutated enough to survive as the new species of Intelligent Design.
            Chuck
            秋音的爸爸

Comment

THIS IS AWESOME!
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              I would still get screwed

Comment

Beat you to it: http://forums.murc.ws/showthread.php?t=55198

and I agree.
                Chuck
                秋音的爸爸

Comment

The Book of Charmed

Originally posted by Umfriend
                  I just watched an episode of Charmed (don't ask) and found it presents me with as much understanding of the universe as ID does.
                  That's because "The Book of Charmed" pretty much explains everything:

And many days after the Seventh Day (although not so many as the sinful evolutionists would have you think!), the Intelligent Designer looked upon his work and said, "Geez Louise, I missed something!" And He descended from Intelligent Designland and appeared before Alyssa Milano and Shannen Doherty and said to them, "thou shalt have breasts larger and pointier than your heads!" And their breast grew to a great size and the Intelligent Designer saw that they were good. And large. And pointy.

And for forty days and forty nights, Alyssa Milano and Shannen Doherty cried great tears of joy, for their boobs were as big and pointy as Rose McGowan's and far larger than those of the actress who played the more sensible, less attractive sister. And the waters from these tears created a great flood that dug a great canyon in Arizona. From this great (some would call it grand) canyon came forth lizards that the Intelligent Designer felt were not so good or pointy, although they were quite large. And He scattered the great lizards across the flat earth and buried their bones many feet under the ground so they would not be found until all the begats were counted.
                  Paul

Comment

LOL! You wrote that yourself?
                    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Chuck
                      秋音的爸爸

Comment

Perhaps more tin-hat material like Nowhere's White House post, but IMO interesting speculation;

1. Some physicists think they could create a new universe in the lab by snipping off a piece of spacetime, whereupon it would expand on its own, as a new universe, into another portion of the multiverse.

Smithsonian article on possibility of an anthropic principle....

MIT & Univ. of Mexico recipe:

MIT's Edward Farhi and Alan Guth and the University of Mexico's Jemal Guven may have worked out a way to use inflation to make a universe right in the laboratory. Here is their recipe:

Form a small black hole from matter with a mass of, say, 10 kilograms (22 pounds) in such a way that the interior "immediately inflates," Harrison summarizes, "not in our universe, but in a reentrant bubble-like spacetime that is connected to our universe via the umbilical cord of the black hole." (Don't ask.) The black hole will then evaporate, severing the connection between our universe and the new one. Don't worry if you make a mess of it, Harrison advises: poorly made ones will probably never have life in them.
                        2. On the other hand much has been written of late about the universe consisting of three things; matter, energy and information. This is the "holographic universe" theory. If the universe is indeed a hologram then its size and dimensionality are illusory, just as is the size and volume taken up by an optical hologram.

Text of Scientific American article: holographic universe

In a holographic universe it's not too much of a stretch to think some information about the universes creation could be hard-coded into the "image" and, perhaps, its consituent parts including the organic material that evolves therein. This follows the quantum mechanical dictum that information cannot be completely destroyed, not even by the black hole used to create a universe in the example above. Stephen Hawking argued the opposite until late in 2004, but now even he has come around and conceded his bet with CalTechs John Preskill (Preskill gets an encyclopedia).

Think of this as "hidden content", much like that often found in games and other programs.

Analysis:

Presuming that #2 could have been "created" by #1 in another part of the multiverse then a "creator" could exist. If this is the case and "passed on" information is indeed coded into the structure of the local universe then perhaps the predisposition of humans towards spirtuality is this information manifesting itself in the first lifeform on this planet capable of expressing it.

Now you just have to figure out the motivations and capabilities of the "creator" and decode whatever material and/or suggestions he/she/it passed on.

Material for a novel or series of short stories?

Hmmm....could be they've already been written by every culture on the planet. Interpretations differ and are occaisionally distorted, but the core data seems very similar across many places and times.

If this were indeed the case I have the feeling that many here would still not accept this entity unless he/she/it had a PhD after their name, even if that name were YHVH.

Dr. Mordrid
                        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 23 December 2005, 19:21.
                        Dr. Mordrid
                        ----------------------------
                        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Off topic, but interesting.
                          How about it's own thread?
                          Chuck
                          秋音的爸爸

Comment

Done.

Dr. Mordrid
                            Dr. Mordrid
                            ----------------------------
                            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

A chief provider and curator of Catholic information on the web since 1996. Our editorial voice, always faithful to the teachings of the Church, assists and inspires Catholic clergy and laity.

I doubt it could evolve into a "fight", but...

Comment

Working...
                              X