Mutatis Mutandis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mutatis Mutandis

Just came across this phrase and had to look it up.

Sad to say the example wasn't much help!

mutatis mutandis
    Latin term meaning things being changed which are to be changed. This phrase and the use of it may best be explained by an example. A proprietor of an estate fues his lands, and the feu contracts all contain the same general clauses, the same obligations on the feuars and confer the same rights. In such a case two of the feu charters are said to be the same mutatis mutandis, that is, they are the same, if (or when) the name of the disponee, the particular description of the lands feued, and other such-like particulars which are peculiar to each, are changed.
    FT.

Oxford is a lot clearer:
    Making the necessary changes; with due alteration of details
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Thanks, yes, that is the clearest yet. Can't see it becoming a regular part of my vocab though as you can bet it'll need explaining to all except the oldest of my academic colleagues (who studied Latin when it was considered contemporary)!
      FT.

Comment

what about mutatis mutande?
        Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Mutated mutants?
          Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

actually mutande is Italian for underwear ,
            so it would be 'changed underwear'?
            Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone
              Thanks, yes, that is the clearest yet. Can't see it becoming a regular part of my vocab though as you can bet it'll need explaining to all except the oldest of my academic colleagues (who studied Latin when it was considered contemporary)!
              I think I'll try to use it though.

But after you guys said "changed underwear" everytime I try to say mutandis I end up saying mutande.
              Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
              Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Working...
              X