Should they resurrect mammoths?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should they resurrect mammoths?

Better start thinking about the ethics as they're sequencing the DNA from a frozen one found in Siberia;

Scientists have mapped part of the genome of the woolly mammoth, a huge mammal that's been extinct for about 10,000 years.

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

If they're extinct because of hunting...why not.

Comment

but where would they live? Alaska? Canada? both have human populations that would be assumed as territory for these huge ranging creatures.

If allowed, what about bring thier natural predator back as well? to prevent over population.....(sabretooth tiger/bears) what would locals say to that ?

/devil's advocate mode
      Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

yes, but think about all those mammoth skin outewrwear the eskimos would have
        Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Well that depends.

Are you an advocate of gun control?

I ask because if you bring back mammoths, you really also need to issue mammoth hunting licenses to the Innuit in order to manage the herds.

But gun control types don't believe in herd management.
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          I would still get screwed

Comment

I say bring them back and put them around the mexican border...
            "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Originally posted by TransformX
              that may be a tad warm for them, being wooly and all...
              Stick them up in the tundras in northern Canada, along with some sabre tooth tigers
              We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Sure, now that the DEW line is gone, that would be our first (and only) line of defence
                Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

I know they are a lot older and I'll sound like an idiot but...

Gogogo Jurassic Park!!
                  Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                  Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

I say bring em back if we can, and do they dodo's while they are at it(I heard they are very tasty)

But realisticly I don't think the can can get enough genetic diversty into such a herd to make viable, It would be pretty sad bring them into existance again just as curisoty to die a lonely death

Comment

Originally posted by TransformX

Or build a double fence and fill the corridor with velociraptors.

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn

Or build a double fence and fill the corridor with velociraptors.
                        Yeah but then the crafty raptors would get out and start their own drug operation.
                        Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                        Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Well...the fence will be there anyhow. Congress just voted 239-182 to fence several hundred more miles of the Mexican border, along with other changes to the immigration laws;

The House last night passed a major border enforcement and immigration security bill after approving amendments ending the diversity visa lottery program and requiring immigration authorities to complete background checks before granting an immigration benefit.

Dr. Mordrid
                          Dr. Mordrid
                          ----------------------------
                          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I want one!

Originally posted by Marshmallowman
                            But realisticly I don't think the can can get enough genetic diversty into such a herd to make viable, It would be pretty sad bring them into existance again just as curisoty to die a lonely death
                            I found what you said to be sad and really funny at the same time. I imagined a sad mammoth standing there all by his lonesome. Poor fella.
                            Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                            Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Originally posted by TnT
                              I want one!

I found what you said to be sad and really funny at the same time. I imagined a sad mammoth standing there all by his lonesome. Poor fella.
                              Like in the movie Ice Age?

I can only picture Ray Romano going "Hey! Any LADY mammoths here? HELLOOOOO?"
                              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                              I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
                              X