Feb. 17, 2009 looms....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feb. 17, 2009 looms....

as the last day of analog TV broadcasts in the US.

Lawmakers Establish 2009 Deadline for Analog TV Phaseout

By Arshad Mohammed
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Tuesday, December 20, 2005; Page D05

They've finally set a date -- Feb. 17, 2009.

That's the last day the over-the-air analog signals that have brought television programs into Americans' homes for decades will be broadcast, leaving only digital signals, under an agreement reached by House and Senate negotiators over the weekend.

That means that millions of people will either have to buy new digital TV sets or get their hands on a set-top converter box that allows the digital channels to be viewed over an old analog television. In addition, the negotiators agreed to spend up to $1.5 billion in federal funds to subsidize the set-top boxes for consumers.

Under the legislation, which was passed by the House yesterday and is expected to be approved by the Senate this week, consumers will be able to get up to two $40 coupons per household to help defray the cost of the set-top boxes.
    Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Woo Hoo!
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I read the title, and thought it would be about the provisional release date for the next-gen Matrox graphics card...
      Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

I honestly don't know anyone getting their signal over the air now anyways. Good to see that they are finally freeing up the spectrum
        We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Working...
        X