Ris a'la Mande

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ris a'la Mande

I think I have finally mastered my favorite Danish Christmas dessert, Ris a'la Mande, with American ingredients. Only took me 10-years to master, but damn is it good. I have a huge heaping bowl of it with warm cherry sauce on top ... mmmmmm...

This made me wonder. What are you country/region/family holiday desserts? Doesn't have to be Christmas or even religious related. Just favorite dessert for the holidays.

Ris a'la Mande is basically rice pudding with sugar, vanilla and whip cream (the real whip cream made from heavy whipping cream) mixed in. It's served with a warm red sauce, traiditionally made with cherries, rasberries, and/or strwaberries. It's so good.

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Ahhh...rice pudding just like granny made it

Ever try bread pudding? Yummy

Scandanavian apple spice cake:

2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1 teaspoon ground allspice
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 cup butter (softened)
    1 cup light brown sugar
    1 cup white sugar
    4 eggs
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 tablespoon warm water
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    3 large or 4 small cooking apples; peeled, cored and sliced (Macintosh, Granny Smith etc.)
    1/2 cup raisins (soaked in warm water, rum, brandy or whatever for 20-30 min. before use)
    1/2 cup chopped walnuts (or pecans or chestnuts etc.)
    1/4 cup confectioners' sugar (for sifting)

Preheat oven to 350 F/175 C. Butter & flour a deep 9"x13" glass cake pan (or 13"x16"). Cover raisins with warm liquid of choice, soak and drain. Mix thoroughly flour, spices, and salt & set aside.

Cream together butter and sugar. Mix in eggs and vanilla. Stir together soda and 1 tablespoon warm water then mix into the sugar mixture. Stir in dry ingredients, sliced apples, walntus and strained raisins until well blended.

Pour batter into pan and bake 1 hour or until a test stick comes out clean. Cool then sift top with confectioners sugar.

DEFINITELY NOT diet food and it disappears FAST

Lazy persons version:

1 box Betty Crocker SuperMoist spice cake mix.

Prepare as directions, but substitute the normal 1.25 cups of water for 2 cups of cinnamon applesauce. Add soaked raisins, nuts and sliced apples then bake as per directions or until test stick comes out clean. Cool then sift confectioners sugar on top.

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 18 December 2005, 22:52.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I've nothing against the traditional Christmas pudding made three months in advance and with a couple of spoonfuls of GOOD cognac poured over it each week. However, I insist it be made with real beef suet to bring the cholesterol levels up. It should be served with a hot custard made from 600 ml of double cream per egg with real vanilla seeds, scraped from the pod. Not for the faint-hearted as one portion is guaranteed to reduce your life expectancy to about 5 minutes, according to the pundits, but I've had same nearly every Christmas for all my 73 years. It's sublime!

PS: the commercial Christmas puds in the shops are but a weak imitation of the real thing!
      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
        I think I have finally mastered my favorite Danish Christmas dessert, Ris a'la Mande, with American ingredients. Only took me 10-years to master, but damn is it good. I have a huge heaping bowl of it with warm cherry sauce on top ... mmmmmm...

This made me wonder. What are you country/region/family holiday desserts? Doesn't have to be Christmas or even religious related. Just favorite dessert for the holidays.

Ris a'la Mande is basically rice pudding with sugar, vanilla and whip cream (the real whip cream made from heavy whipping cream) mixed in. It's served with a warm red sauce, traiditionally made with cherries, rasberries, and/or strwaberries. It's so good.

Jammrock
        Aaahhhhhhh, ris a'la mande!!!!! (mmmmmmmmmmm).

Can't wait for christmas eve. I just hope i find the almond again this year (and get the almond gift).
        Laptops: ASUS G750JM: Intel Core i7 4700HQ, 8GB RAM (DDR3-1600), Nvidia GTX 860M, 1 x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD, 1 x WD 750 GB HDD, 17,3" FHD Screen, Windows 8.1 64-bit.
        ASUS Vivobook S400CA: Intel Core i5 3317U (1,7-2,6 GHz), 8 GB RAM (DDR3-1600), Intel HD4000, 1 x 500GB HDD, 14" touch-screen (1366x768), Windows 8.1 64-bit.

Comment

Jammrock
          Hmm... sounds interesting. How is the red sauce made. I love raspberries and want to get into making more stuff with them (especially when they get back in season).

For Vietnam and China mooncakes are always a favorite but holidays over there are a couple months earlier (moon festival) and a couple months later (new year). There are many types of mooncakes with a popular one having fruit cake like substance inside. Which is why many Asians like fruit cake... bleck. My favorite mooncakes have mashed red beans inside (although it is purplish in color).
          Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
          Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Jammrock
            you should post the recipie then
            .. I will see if I can get my moms recipie too, which she also makes with north american ingredients now
            We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Working...
            X