TMPGEnc guide or help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TMPGEnc guide or help

Has anyone put together an english version of the manual, or a self created guide to getting the most out of your TMPGEnc conversion settings? With all of the variables available for tweaking, it' hard to get a handle on good combinations for best quality.

The default settings are great with HuffYUV, but I still don't get VHS quality VCDs, and the little tweaking I've attempted in the advanced settings have only produced non-Apex-playable discs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and duly rewarded with beer... or wine...or spirits, if I ever see you, in a bar, when I have money, to spare. Thanks

[This message has been edited by kleinbull (edited 07 May 2001).]

[This message has been edited by kleinbull (edited 07 May 2001).]

I don't have a direct answer, and I hate to send anyone to another URL but www.vcdhelp.com has several forums which has a braintrust similar to MURC, but multiplied due to the number of users.
    Tyan Thunder K7, 768MB Registered DDR ECC, 2xMP2200+, Radeon 9700 Pro, Adaptec 2940U2B Ultra2 SCSI, TB Santa Cruz, Pyro 1394DV. RAID 0 stripe set on hacked Promise UltraTX2 with dual WD 120MB SE drives. HP DVD200i DVD+RW drive.

Comment

I haven't seen a complete manual, but it sounds like a good project for someone....

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Thanks Jeep

I've been back and forth to this site for reference since I started this effort. There are some really good sites for VCD/SVCD creation, but not much yet on TMPGEnc. I have an '86 CJ7 and an '85 Grand Wagoneer. When the missiles start flying, I'm headed for deep Mexico.

Dr., I would be more than happy to do a Q&A for a TMPGEnc doc, but I have to warn you, I have many Q and little A. I could post some specific questions as I go, and Cypher the answers and create a file.

For Example, I have about 20~25 available HD space, using AVI_IO and TMPGEnc w/Gh/N reduction, Edge E, and B Clr correct in "Advanced." For 1-2 hrs recording, I am limited to 352x480 recording using HuffYUV, maybe 480x480 forced if I want to try SVCD. What non-default settings should I adjust for best quality playable VCD or SVCD.

Actually, being that I'm so new, I have many questions and could make them simpler for a Q&A, but this is what I need now.

Really, I could make a Q&A based on very standard questions, such as "How does the Quantizer matrix work in relation to the frame to frame picture quality?" , as long as y'all don't mind the many posts on this subject.

What do ya think?

Comment

That's a good question. How DOES the quantizer matrix work?

Kevin

Comment

kleinbull,

Actually I feel kinda guilty depriving someone with Jeeps a good handle. I had a '92 Wrangler Hard Top, but sold it to get down payment money for a condo in '94. I did eventually make about $16K on the condo so it was a good decision, but I sure miss it. Now with two kids, I am a few years off from getting another one to hop up. I hated getting stuck in a 4 foot wide creek bed with 5 inches water with the stock street tires!
            Tyan Thunder K7, 768MB Registered DDR ECC, 2xMP2200+, Radeon 9700 Pro, Adaptec 2940U2B Ultra2 SCSI, TB Santa Cruz, Pyro 1394DV. RAID 0 stripe set on hacked Promise UltraTX2 with dual WD 120MB SE drives. HP DVD200i DVD+RW drive.

Comment

OK then, does anybody know of a good source or reference to information about the quantizer effect.

A friend of mine calls it quantisizer by name, but he's dislexic, so I don't know if it's the same thing that he's talking about. He's studying time and frequency sampling and equations at UT, but it's more of an equations class, so he's not much help except to say the higher the quantisizer value the better.

Anyway, I was thinking about creating a matrix of TMPGEnc variables to compare different quality outputs, but I'm not sure which variables to focus on. I was hoping to make about 60 1 minute samples so I could put it on CD-R to play in the Apex, and since TMPGEnc has soooo many variables, I have to maybe limit the amount of changes I make to end up with ~60.

Any advice or guidance would be highly appreciated.

PS. I think I'm going to use some basketball playoffs recording using AVI_IO/HuffYUV, because the most noticable issue with my current recordings is the motion, I think they call it artifacts.

Comment

Working...
              X