Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Asteroid Apophis: interdict or hope for the best?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asteroid Apophis: interdict or hope for the best?

sci-tech-today.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, sci-tech-today.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

In Egyptian myth, Apophis was the ancient spirit of evil and destruction, a demon that was determined to plunge the world into eternal darkness.

A fitting name, astronomers reasoned, for a menace now hurtling towards Earth from outer space. Scientists are monitoring the progress of a 390-meter wide asteroid discovered last year that is potentially on a collision course with the planet, and are imploring governments to decide on a strategy for dealing with it.

NASA has estimated that an impact from Apophis, which has an outside chance of hitting the Earth in 2036, would release more than 100,000 times the energy released in the nuclear blast over Hiroshima.

>>
    >>

Alan Fitzsimmons, an astronomer from Queen's University Belfast, said: "When it does pass close to us on April 13 2029, the Earth will deflect it and change its orbit. There's a small possibility that if it passes through a particular point in space, the so-called keyhole, [then] the Earth's gravity will change things so that when it comes back around again in 2036, it will collide with us."

The chance of Apophis passing through the keyhole, a 600-meter patch of space, is one in 5,500 based on current information.

>>
    >>

In spring next year, there will be another opportunity for radar observations of Apophis that will help astronomers work out possible future orbits of the asteroid more accurately.

If, at that stage, they cannot rule out an impact with Earth in 2036, the next chance to make better observations will not be until 2013. NASA has argued that a final decision on what to do about Apophis will have to be made at that stage.

"It may be a decision in 2013 whether or not to go ahead with a full-blown mitigation mission, but we need to start planning it before 2013," said Professor Fitzsimmons. In 2029, astronomers will know for sure if Apophis will pose a threat in 2036.

If the worst-case scenarios turn out to be true and the Earth is not prepared, it will be too late. "If we wait until 2029, it would seem unlikely that you'd be able to do anything about 2036," said Yates.
    Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Nah, Bruce Willis and Ben Affleck can handle it!
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    If only life were as easy as you
    I would still get screwed

Comment

An oldie but a goody: Impact Effects Calculator

Hell, let the thing hit. Maybe it will liven things up on this rock.

Kevin

Comment

All this stuff makes me wonder: what if they were to discover one that will hit within 5 years or so.

Would this be enough of a timeframe to think of a plan to either deflect it or at least to minimize the damages caused?

Jörg
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

If they get a big enough budget.....
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Five years would probably be barely enough time to evacuate the target area. Although the likelihood is better than 70% that it would hit in an ocean, can you imagine the mess if it came down in central Europe or China or New England? It would almost certainly precipitate several minor wars or at least one big one.

Kevin

Comment

Working...
            X