3DMark 99

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3DMark 99

Remember that old thing? Yeah, well, since it would only run on Win98, and I can only play USAF and some other classic games on a Win98 machine, well, I set up one rig purely for Win98 game play.

Thing is, I had a replacement X850XT PE card turn up. Well, I threw it into the Win98 rig, and was expecting super scores. Actually, it seemed rather bland. Didn't seem very super for this system. Is this normal?

Windows 98SE
    Pentium 4 1.8Ghz 400Mhz FSB 512k cache
    512MB DDR2100 RAM
    8GB HD ATA 66
    CAT 5.9 Drivers
    X850XT PE 256MB AGP

Scores: 11372 3DMarks, 24096 CPU 3DMarks, 37782 3D Raster Marks, 131.1FPS Race, 100FPS Shooter.

Will put some piccies up later if wanted.

The other 3DMark systesm seems OK though.

J1NG

I'd guess that the driver isn't optimized for the version of DirectX that 3DMark 99 uses.
    P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Yeah, well, you'd think that being DX9 capable drivers would mean that DX6 would work 100% and then some.

I suppose the drivers bit did say "beta" support. So the card working is already a bit of a miracle.

Anyway, at least I can switch on all those rediculous AA and AF for the old games and get 200+fps.

J1NG

Comment

Originally posted by J1NG
        Yeah, well, you'd think that being DX9 capable drivers would mean that DX6 would work 100% and then some.
        That's not how COM works.

If they tweak a particular function handler in DX8 then DX9 would be able to call it but DX7 would not.

So if they found a way to tweak the speed of a particular routine it's up to the driver team to go as far back in the DX library as possilbe to implement it.

I doubt that they did that.
        P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Right, also being a beta, probably means I'm running everything raw. Hence the crappy scores. Thanks for that. Never bothered with learning about COM.

J1NG

Comment

Just realised I posted this in the Matrox Hardware forum instead of the Benchmarks forum. If any mod wants to move the thread. Feel free to do so.

J1NG

Comment

Working...
            X