PDA

View Full Version : Let it snow let it snow... let it SNOW!!!

Elie
15th December 2005, 13:00
Those who live in Toronto will be experiencing a ton of snow right now as I type this and looking outside, man it's bad!!!

RhinoZ
15th December 2005, 16:42
Hey Elie,
It's about 7:30pm here in Ottawa, no snow yet, but we are hearing it's going to be a dousy. Snow starting sometime tonight and continuing all day tomorrow. A little dumping of about 40cm.

schmosef
15th December 2005, 17:47
I hope tomorrow is going to be a snow day! The snow was very thick on my drive home but surprisingly the roads were pretty good.

Dr Mordrid
15th December 2005, 17:47
We have 8 inches on the ground (snowed all day) and our heavy snow alert has 4 hours to go.

Round #2 with the snowblower starts tomorrow morning :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Dr. Mordrid

Mehen
15th December 2005, 18:39
had the snowblower out today :) so glad it actually started up

Dr Mordrid
15th December 2005, 18:42
Mine is self-powered with electronic ignition, EFI and an electric starter :D :D

With 12hp it'll throw snow 100' (30m), even in the deep stuff.

Dr. Mordrid

Mehen
15th December 2005, 18:50
:o :o :o

yeah well, mine takes an average of about ten pulls to get it going, but today I did it in only two! so... there...

pwnd.

... ... how much did you pay for it? :p

Elie
15th December 2005, 19:12
unfortunately I gotta do it the old fassion way :( Gotta buy a slow blower soon

Dr Mordrid
15th December 2005, 21:56
:o :o :o

... ... how much did you pay for it? :pAbout a kilobuck a few years ago and it still looks/runs like new; just have to take it into the garage to clean & spray with WD-40 after each use. Worth every damned cent.

Not exactly the same thing, but along the lines of this beast;

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=LAWN&pid=07188115000&tab=des#tabs

Trust me; the 35' throw distance they quote for most of these things is the minimum in heavy/wet snow. Lighter stuff goes almost all the way across our street if I aim it that way. Ours will even throw slushy/wet/dirty snow over 10'. Run it slow and careful and it'll even eat it's way through the ice/snow dams left by street plows.

Until you've used one you have no idea as to how much work & back pain they can save you.

Dr. Mordrid

Brian Ellis
16th December 2005, 01:04
What is snow? :D

dbdg
16th December 2005, 02:56
Need to see pictures....

I only ever see snow on holiday.

Nowhere
16th December 2005, 03:10
Started here heavily today...and this time it looks like it's gonna stay...

edit: It seems it's a bit too warm... :/

Rakido
16th December 2005, 04:42
Need to see pictures....

I only ever see snow on holiday.

Here you are: Snow in Cyprus ;)

http://www.snow-forecast.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/10540/normal_DSC05308.jpg

Brian Ellis
16th December 2005, 05:43
Seriously, where I live (300 m altitude), I've seen sleety snow fall twice for short periods since 1998, but it has never settled. In the mountains, snowfalls of up to 1 m (3 m cumulative) are known and winter sports are practised (skilifts there!). This is one of the few places where you can both downhill ski and waterski on the sea in 30 minutes (Cypriot driver) or 45 minutes (normal driver).

gt40
16th December 2005, 05:47
I love a good snow storm :up:
nothing beats throwing the truck into 4wd and going into a 4 wheel power slide in the corners, with snow flying all around as the tires throw it in all directions :)

ZokesPro
16th December 2005, 06:00
Here in the Mntreal area, we got a foot of snow, causing all sorts of traffic jams EVERYWHERE!!!

Somehow the taurus handles real well in the snow. :)

gt40
16th December 2005, 06:13
Here in the Mntreal area, we got a foot of snow, causing all sorts of traffic jams EVERYWHERE!!!

Somehow the taurus handles real well in the snow. :)

Ah, I see you bought the Taurus :)
How is it treating you so far?

Tjalfe
16th December 2005, 06:19
I too thought we would get a snow day today, but it stopped snowing pretty early and by morning, the roads were all clear, leaving no excuse to call for the day off :(
I think we got around 15 - 20cm, probably closer to 15

RhinoZ
16th December 2005, 07:22
Wow, we got a nice snow dumping. First round of shovelling this morning. Great first day off of my Christmas vacation. The kids loved the stuff.
Don't have to drive anywhere, but I had to call a friend at work to ask him how his drive was. He own's a Nissian 4x4 with new AT tires that are two weeks old and he was waiting for a day like this. He said he cleared the work parking lot with his spin outs. :) :)

ZokesPro
16th December 2005, 07:34
Ah, I see you bought the Taurus :)
How is it treating you so far?
Real good actually but because of icy road conditions, I sorta cracked the front bumper two days ago. It was really cold too so the plastic gave easily. :( (I found one the same color in a used car parts store, but I won't have the money till next week)

Aside from that, the engine and tranny have been very well taken car of, all the maintenance has been done, the only thing it needed was an oil change. Gets good mileage surprisingly. About 11L/100km. Basically it runs like new, shift good! But it needs new ball joints, the current one are loose. That and new rear struts and some decent winter tires.

Dr Mordrid
16th December 2005, 07:41
WIMPS!! A foot of snow is a mere dusting :)

Dr. Mordrid

Tjalfe
16th December 2005, 07:47

Dr. Mordrid

Is that a way of saying that you have so many cars there, that you cannot really tell a regular traffic jam from one caused by snow? :p

Dr Mordrid
16th December 2005, 07:49
It means we don't get traffic jams due to just a little snow. It takes a s***load.

Dr. Mordrid

ZokesPro
16th December 2005, 08:00

Dr. Mordrid
A little snow and eveyone here drives real slow. :rolleyes:

Dr Mordrid
16th December 2005, 08:30
On a trip to San Antonio, Texas we witnessed how they react to about .25" of snow:

bumper cars http://digitalvideo.8m.net/emoticon/rotflmao.gif http://digitalvideo.8m.net/emoticon/rotflmao.gif http://digitalvideo.8m.net/emoticon/rotflmao.gif http://digitalvideo.8m.net/emoticon/rotflmao.gif

Dr. Mordrid

ZokesPro
16th December 2005, 08:38
On a trip to San Antonio, Texas we witnessed how they react to about .25" of snow:

bumper cars http://digitalvideo.8m.net/emoticon/rotflmao.gif http://digitalvideo.8m.net/emoticon/rotflmao.gif http://digitalvideo.8m.net/emoticon/rotflmao.gif http://digitalvideo.8m.net/emoticon/rotflmao.gif

Dr. Mordrid
Same reaction when Vancouver got snow that one time. Was about .25" also. :p

Jon P. Inghram
16th December 2005, 10:33
We might be getting up to around 4" or so by Sunday. I love driving in snow, but I dispise driving in snow with other cars: it seems I invariably end up with people in front of me who think snow sets sv_friction to -100, and people behind me who think 4-wheel-drive makes their 4000 lb SUV stop faster. :D

ZokesPro
16th December 2005, 10:59
We might be getting up to around 4" or so by Sunday. I love driving in snow, but I dispise driving in snow with other cars: it seems I invariably end up with people in front of me who think snow sets sv_friction to -100, and people behind me who think 4-wheel-drive makes their 4000 lb SUV stop faster. :D
Or that 4 season tires actually means it's good for all 4 seasons! :p

Mehen
17th December 2005, 15:04
lol @ 'sv_friction'

Mikko
17th December 2005, 15:18
Maybe the drivers behind you are using studded tyres, just like most of the Scandinavians do in the wintertime. :D

Nowhere
17th December 2005, 15:48
Little update: it seems like snow is here to stay... To bad that it melted a bit anyway, so it's a bit slippy...

Jon P. Inghram
17th December 2005, 18:31
Maybe the drivers behind you are using studded tyres, just like most of the Scandinavians do in the wintertime. :D

I'd be happy if that were true, but around here your average SUV driver probably doesn't even know what studded tires are or why you'd want them. :(

Dr Mordrid
17th December 2005, 19:32
For the most part studded tires (and chains) are illegal in Michigan, dispite our climate, unless the tire maker has supplied certain road wear information to the State. The reason is that they tear the roads up mercilessly. So far no manufacturer has supplied the required information in the 30+ years since the law was passed, so they're all illegal :rolleyes:

Dr. Mordrid

Technoid
18th December 2005, 03:44
we got an inch of snow this night, yay :D

Jokes asside, there's definitly global warming going on, and its happening much much quicker than anyone wants to admit, we've gone from 1.5m+ every winter and with the snow not melting away for several months to perhaps a half meter once or twice during the whole "winter period" and it usually melts away within the week and all that in only 20 years of time :(

Brian Ellis
18th December 2005, 05:19
For the most part studded tires (and chains) are illegal in Michigan, dispite our climate, unless the tire maker has supplied certain road wear information to the State. The reason is that they tear the roads up mercilessly. So far no manufacturer has supplied the required information in the 30+ years since the law was passed, so they're all illegal :rolleyes:

Dr. Mordrid

I agree that studded tyres are hell for road surfaces, but they are next to useless on snow, anyway. They are useful only on black ice. In Switzerland, they are tolerated in mountain areas but cars thus equipped must wear a special sticker on the back to warn tailgaters that they are likely to experiment their crumple zones if the car in front brakes on ice. They are speed-limited to 80 km/h max, even on highways, to reduce road surface wear. They are also very noisy.

Chains are useful only in snow. In Switzerland, they are mandatory under some conditions, even for cars with snow (NOT 4-season) tyres, LandRovers and suchlike, on all driving wheels. They are not a big problem for road surfaces, because the drivers remove them when there is no snow, because the noise and vibration are intolerable and a few km on hard surfaces will break the chains, anyway. In the case of roads where there are bare tracks, you see the guys with chains offsetting their cars from the lane centre, to keep on the snow :) . I was so used to putting them on, I got the time down to 22 secs/wheel, even in -20°C weather, with gloves on. Taking them off slightly longer, as I had to push the car so that they were oriented correctly. Obviously, you don't have mountain conditions with roads going up to 2000 m in Michigan, otherwise your law would be deemed stupid, although it would make a good population regulator! :)

Even in this country, it is sometimes mandatory to wear chains to go to the mountains, if you don't have a 4-WD vehicle with chunky tyres (see Rakido's photo).

Dr Mordrid
18th December 2005, 09:10
Ahhhh.....black ice; AKA = a Michigan Rollercoaster :)

Dr. Mordrid