PlanetSpace "Silver Dart"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PlanetSpace "Silver Dart"

A space tourism group developing a suborbital rocket ship is now talking aim at orbital trips with a new spacecraft that doubles as a hypersonic glider.

Based on the U.S. Air Force’s Flight Dynamics Laboratory-7 (FDL-7) program, the Silver Dart is a lifting body designed to glide from hypersonic speeds of Mach 22 down to landing, PlanetSpace officials said. The spacecraft is expected to launch vertical atop a stack of about 10 Canadian Arrow rocket engines and land horizontally on an aircraft runway, they added.

NASA deciding to purchase space on private vehicles has really started something....

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

.. but where is the washroom in that beast?
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

each seat will have a funnel attached to a hose back into a septic tank which is ejected into space

Comment

A Cobra Mk. III would blow it out of the sky without breaking a sweat I'd think...

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
          NASA deciding to purchase space on private vehicles has really started something....
          Better than putting it on Chinese rockets, where they'll just steal our technology anyway and we give them the rope to hang us.
          You were told - Sasq

Comment

Originally posted by Elie
            each seat will have a funnel attached to a hose back into a septic tank which is ejected into space
            Into a decaying orbit, I guess. Gives new meaning to the "well shit on me" expression.
            You were told - Sasq

Comment

looks like a glorified paper airplane
              Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

looks suspiciously like a vehicle I designed in second grade (1966 or therabouts), although mine was launched by means of massive springs because I didn't know how to make the fire come out the back.

I thought it was quite innovative. Zero pollution!

Kevin

Comment

I wonder what materials they plan on using to keep those nice sharp edges and fins from melting off at hypersonic speeds?

Comment

Originally posted by Jon P. Inghram
                    A Cobra Mk. III would blow it out of the sky without breaking a sweat I'd think...
                    Y'know, I think it's got a bit of a Fer-de-Lance look to it, so yeah, you're probably right
                    DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

The Silver Dart is based on the black projects FDL-5, FDL-7 and FDL-8 (FDL = USAF Flight Dynamics Laboratory);

FDL-5;

This guy has made FDL-5 models that he claims are 95% accurate and show the retractable wings/fins and drop-tanks;

Can't find images of the FDL-7/8

They were prototype hypersonic spaceplane designs from the 60's and early '70's, all sucessors to the X-15 and predecessors to the X-24 B;

Yet another of the designs NASA should have pursued but didn't(?). Instead NASA used the data to further the Space Shuttle project. Some think it was further developed, evolving into what has come to be known as Aurora.

Dr. Mordrid
                      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 15 December 2005, 19:35.
                      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I still wonder what would be the outcome of Soyuz entering the competition (as I understand, NASA perhaps will do typical open "bid"?). Wonder how cheap they're now...

Comment

That or "Kliper" (aka: Clipper), a small spaceplane Russia is developing;

They haven't had much luck getting the EU to help with the financing, so now they're pursuing the Japanese.

Dr. Mordrid
                          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                          X