LED lighting on the upswing....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LED lighting on the upswing....

C. Crane is a US-based radio store offering the most powerful long-range AM/FM radios, emergency radios, Wi-Fi antennas, and Internet repeater systems. Shop now.

Can't wait

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Meeee toooo

Comment

I use LED spots at home, it's great for power sonsumption and heat. But they are not as bright as halogen or fluorescent lights.
      It's the only downside. even cost is ok as it lasts VERY long and draws VERY LITTLE power. I'm waiting for next gen brighter LED
      System : ASUS A8N SLI premium, Athlon 64X2 3800+, 2Gb, T7K500 320Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb ATA133, Nec ND-3520, Plextor PX130A, SB Audigy 2, Sapphire Radeon X800 GTO, 24" Dell 2407WFP.

Comment

I think fluro's are still more effiecient than LED's, but with LED's you don't have the startup consumption of fluros. Use LED's for light you turn on an off a lot , and fluros for light that you leave on for long periods.

Actually I think halogens are more effiecent(or close to) than LED's as well, but they certainly have a shorter life span

Comment

I have flashlights that use the latest generation of LED's. BRIGHT AS HELL.....and the one that uses 2 D cells is 50 hours into those batteries with no sign of 'em failing yet. I have a smaller one for my van that runs on 4 AAA's and it's at least 30 hours into those and still no sign of 'em going dead.

Can't beat that....

Dr. Mordrid
          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

One more article on the subject;

Electronic walls and ceilings with interchangeable LED panels would allow you to change room lighting at a whim, in a new design proposed today.

Dr. Mordrid
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I got some LED xmas lights...they are bright as hell..but expensive compared to the regular lights you can get.
              Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

We bought several strings this year. 75 lights ea. with traditional bulb shapes (conical) = $7.50

Dr. Mordrid
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Marshmallowman
                  I think fluro's are still more effiecient than LED's, but with LED's you don't have the startup consumption of fluros. Use LED's for light you turn on an off a lot , and fluros for light that you leave on for long periods.

Actually I think halogens are more effiecent(or close to) than LED's as well, but they certainly have a shorter life span
                  from what I know, fluorescent tubes get you between 50-110lm/W. the linked page shows only 20-30 lm/W.

red & green LEDs might be better, but the white ones still "suck".

mfg
                  wulfman
                  "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
                  "Lobsters?"
                  "Really? I didn't know they did that."
                  "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

those rotating color bulbs look like they'd be perfect for a sculpture I designed back in college. One of our projects my senior year was to propose a sculpture for Boston University's new Photonics building. I'm sure all of you are familiar with those screen savers that rotate and undulate colors in interesting patterns. Well my idea was to take a abstract geometric sculpture made out of frosted glass. Then inside have rotating lights of different colors causing different patterns of light on the frosted glass. I admit that could come off VERY tacky but I still think it could look interesting if done well. I didn't get the commision because honestly my model did prove the concept well at all. However, I liked the design of geometric shape so much I used it for a stone carving I did later. I got a solid A on that one.
                    Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Forgot about this until a second ago. A friend of mine is using the light Doc has pictured, or at least it looks like that, as a porch light. Works great.
                      Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                      Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

I welcome any alternative to fluorescent lights. I'm one of those people whose eyes get bugged out by the mass-market cheap fluorescents... and nobody wants to spring for the pricey good ones. Cheap LED's? Literally a sight for sore eyes!
                        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                        If only life were as easy as you
                        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                        If only life were as easy as you
                        I would still get screwed

Comment

now if they could make a WARM white LED light. I'm sorry but i don't like living in the land of blue. Heck finding warm flourescent lights is hard is heck. They often say they are on the box but aren't. I found a couple brands that were but I bought those six years ago and they are finally starting to die on me.
                          Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Warm LED's shouldn't be too hard to come up with....just intersperce a few red & orange LED's among the white ones to warm the output a bit.

Dr. Mordrid
                            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I don't quite understand why people are so excited about LED lighting. The only logical reason I can see is what drives all early adopters: Curiosity and excitement about something being "new", "high tech" or whatever, maybe the feeling of exclusivity.

At the moment, fluorescent is a lot better than LED for almost all domestic lighting applications. Its efficiency is much better, it can be had with a CRI of over 95 (which is good enough for serious photography), its life span is long enough (much longer than incandescent), etc. There are a few problems with cheap fluorescent lights, like flickering, poor color rendition, humming, a short wait before the lamp lights up. But all of these issues can be worked around, and there are lights that don't have them. There are even dimmable fluorescent lights. The only problem is that really good fluorescents are hard to find, but a good fluorescent lamp is still lots better for domestic lighting than an LED bulb. Of course, this might change in the future (though I don't know if LED will ever reach the efficiency of Fluorescent), but until then, I really see no reason to choose LED over Fluoro.
                              There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Working...
                              X