remember the voodoo5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• remember the voodoo5?

i was just looking up about setting a parhelia AGP up with a G200 MMS in the same system and came across a post about the fondly remembered voodoo 5 6000, i decided to have a look on ebay just to see if there were any about and i couldnt believe how much money people will pay for IT nostalgia!!

is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
    Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Considering that this card was never on the market and is the best thing to play games supporting Glide...

Comment

must agree i would love to get hold of one of them, got any ideas as to the numbers of these that were ever made?
      is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
      Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Comment

They are pretty rare and never made quite made it to full production, a collectors item in that sense anyway.

Comment

US $1,201.00
          WOW!!

And with no bracket, either (though the guy claims you can get one from a "common" V5-5500), and also no box. (3dfx had great artwork on their boxes.) That card had also been modded to work with an internal power connector, rather than the external power brick. Funny, the v5 5500 has an extra internal molex power connector on card, but 3dfx went to the external power brick for the 6000. Therefore, I'm not too sure what was done to that 6000 card is such a great idea, but what the heck.

A while back (2 years ago, methinks), someone on ebay sold a collection of 3dfx h/w. He had at least 1 of everything 3dfx ever made, including a non-working prototype of a 6000 (as well as a working version), a genuine 3dfx flag, and some of the Quantum 3D cards (the "pro" 3D workstation cards made w/ 3dfx parts). The collection went for something like US $2550.

The 6000 is the only 3dfx card I don't have. I don't think I have an example of their early 3D accelerator co-card, either, but I do have a V2-1000, which is very similar. The artwork on 3dfx boxes was pretty good, too.

3dfx cards had/have quite a following. They will be/are probably the first video cards that may have real "collector" value.

In terms of performance these days, they are no big deal. But I guess the other poster on this thread is right -- the v5-6000 is probably the ultimate card for Glide games. I just question the price for a modified card like that one in terms of collector value, and again in terms of performance vis-a-vis today's cards.

I have a v4 4500 running under WMe on a Piii/800 box. I didn't see a lot of difference for what I was doing between that and a v5 5500 (the only difference is a single v100 GPU on the 4500, dual v100 GPUs on the 5500, and quad v100's on the 6000), but I'm not a heavy gamer, just a video card freak.
          You were told - Sasq

Comment

Pretty good icon, Marshmallowman.
            You were told - Sasq

Comment

shamelesly stolen from a dude on

but yes I like it

Comment

I still have my old Quantum3D Obsidian2 X-24 , single slot SLI Voodoo2

"Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Originally posted by ALBPM

http://www.sharkygames.com/hardware/...24/index.shtml
                  Way cool. Quantum3D stuff tends to go for a pretty penny on ebay, too. Obsidians like yours were going for about $100-$200 back when I was watching (1-2 years ago). You could get Voodoo3's for under $20 ($30-$40 for 3500's) and Voodoo4 4500's and Voodoo5 5500's for $25-$50 or so back then. Voodoo5 6000's were more, but nowhere near like the reference someone gave in this thread. As I said before, I think 3dfx has a genuine collector following.
                  You were told - Sasq

Comment

BTW, I can get for free Voodoo3 16MB - still much better than G400 16MB for games that apart from D3D/OGL support also Glide?

Comment

Originally posted by ALBPM

http://www.sharkygames.com/hardware/...24/index.shtml
                      I had the pleasure of using one of them many years ago. A client had wanted a large number of 2D cards tested with a variety of VoodooII based cards. UT99 got put on that machine real fast for lunch gaming. :drool...:

Comment

Working...
                      X