Dead Geese

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead Geese

Whats your thoughts on this geese killings??
    I have heard there is a $500 reward to find out who did this.

Soyo 815e chipset
    P3 933 o/c to 1 Ghz
    G400MAX + RR addon
    Western Digital 120 Gb
    2 - 256 Mb Corsair PC133
    Voodoo 2 o/c to 105Mhz
    SB Audigy
    Toshiba 16x DVD
    Plextor 48x24x48x CDRW

Who wants goose for their Christmas dinner?

Seriously, if somebody did this delibrately, then perhaps they should also be run over by a snowmobile, but just their legs, so that it hurts most. They should then be allowed to repent fot 20 years with a view of iron bars.
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

In these parts they'd be given a medal.

Unfortunately many protected or managed species have rebounded to the point where they're becoming major nuisances, and geese are a prime example. People around here have come home to find gardens destroyed, their front lawns covered in droppings etc. etc. after literally thousands of geese have "invaded" whole neighborhoods.

Yes, there is hunting but that doesn't come close to controlling the situation. You'd have to put an anti-aircraft battery in every neighborhood

This 1997 article from the Ranger Rick (Natl. Wildlife Federation kids site) pretty much covers the situation;

Unfortunately things have become much, much worse since 1997. Now they aren't only breeding like rabbits but they're not migrating during the winter because food is readily available in the form of lawns, golf courses etc. etc.

Dr. Mordrid
      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 13 December 2005, 10:43.
      Dr. Mordrid
      ----------------------------
      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

You have to be a sick individual to run down 30 Geese with your snowmobile, IMHO. I think it is ****ed up what this person(s) did.
        Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

No kidding. All those feathers could really miff your tracks up. Much better to use a snowplow.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
            No kidding. All those feathers could really miff your tracks up. Much better to use a snowplow.
            LOL!
            Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

I agree that it's pretty sick to kill them this way, but they sure shouldn't be a protected species anymore. There was a big controversy up here a few years back when a certain suburban mayor proposed rounding up some of the thousands of geese and using them to feed the homeless. The uproar from the enviro-wackos was deafening, and the plan was cancelled.
              Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Originally posted by Helevitia
                You have to be a sick individual to run down 30 Geese with your snowmobile, IMHO. I think it is ****ed up what this person(s) did.
                You uses whatcha got when the opportunity presents itself.

If I had a flamethrower with me I'd serve goose to a street party

Dr. Mordrid
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

They should be hunted, but the hunting must be controlled. Hunting gives them a sporting chance, at least.. running them down while sleeping just isn't cricket. Kinda sadistic, as well.

Comment

But they are hunted and regulations are both State and Federal because they're a protected migratory species. Problem is they no longer deserve protection, aren't migrating, breed like rabbits, don't fear people or animals, can be highly agressive and the existing bag limits & length of season are not enough to keep up.

Hell....loading up ACK-ACK's with #10 shot wouldn't be enough given the number of geese in our area

IMO the State game departments should get free reign to handle the problem. If it takes a 6 or 12 month vs. the current 1 month season and large bag limits, so be it.

Dr. Mordrid
                    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 14 December 2005, 00:54.
                    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                    X