HTPC advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HTPC advice

Recently a customer of mine told me he was looking into getting a Sonos Digital Music System for his home.

I asked him if he'd considered getting an HTPC instead and discussed the various pros and cons of getting a PC based solution.

The Sonos starter kit sells for $1500 at FutureShop. He'd still need to buy a NAS and a wireless bridge or have my wiring vendor add an ethernet drop to his living room.

I told told him that I could probably put together a decent HTPC for less.

The primary use of this HTPC will be for music but it could conceivably be for playing HD-DVD/BlueRay media in the future. It's not going to be used for DVR or watching TV.

I'm thinking of basing it on the Shuttle SN25P: link

It has a VIA sound system. Normally, I don't like VIA, but the reviews I've seen for this part are very good.

My questions, for you HTPC dudes, are:

-What, if any, advantage would Windows Media Center Edition 2005 provide?
    -Is the M$ remote a good one? (link)
    -What about their keyboard? (link)
    -Video card recommendation? His TV has a spare Component Video input and an unused HDMI input. Which one is better for HTPC use? I'd guess Component Video because the HTPC wouldn't be using anything with content protection.
    -Is there a better platform than Shuttle for this?
    P.S. You've been Spanked!

Doing some more research I've now learned that I can use a DVI to HDMI cable to connect the HTPC to the TV thus eliminating the need for component video output.

My question is, will the video card detect the available resolutions on the TV or will I have to do some sort of juggling?

Comment

anybody?

Comment

- No experience with Sonos Digital Music System, nor with MCE
        - I've heard very good things about the MS MCE RC
        - I've heard bad things about the 'mouse' pointer device on the MCE wireless keyboard. However, that just _might_ be people who are not used to that kind of pointing device (it's like the one on thinkpads?)
        - as for HDMI vs. Component, it all depend on the specific tv set and capabilities of video card. I'd go with a Geforce 6600 series that offers component output or a recent ATI card with the DVI-Component adaptor. Switching to HDMI is a trivial matter afaik (just involves a DVI-HDMI convertor) if needed.
        - when using component, no resolutions are detected at all (there's no data return signal from the TV). Most sets have a native resolution which is the one you'd like to drive it at (i.e. 720p, 1080i, etc)

Comment

so will the cards allow me to set an interlaced mode? or will the tv take the non interlaced signal and re-jigg it?

do you know of an nV card vendor that has 6600 based cards with component output?

Comment

yes, afaik you can output interlaced modes (if needed). I don't know a single north american vendor. The 6600 with component out often come with this cable from a mini-din plug to the 3 composite RCA jacks.

Comment

Can you name a vendor from "over there"?

I want to check out their site.

Comment

alternate.de had some very vague references to component out with an enclosed adaptor (appearantly comes with about half of the 6600 models on that site). The weird part was that component wasn't listed for the same cards under 'tv out connections'. Other sites seem to refer to component out as 'HDTV out' (but I could interpret that as HDMI out as well).
                I guess over here there's confusion about component out, because we don't get many TV sets with component: SCART-RGB was the 'equivalent' for SDTVs here, and HDTV hasn't caught on yet (and nearly all those models that are available come with DVI).

Comment

Thanks dZeus,

my sales rep at one of my distributors was able to spec an Asus 6600 card with native HDTV output. Funny because that card isn't listed on Asus's site but my distributor has them in stock.

I've been reading about problems with overscanning. From what I've seen the nVidia drivers have good tools for compensating.

Comment

the new ati series (X1x00) is apparently very good for HDTV. Even a lowly X1300 might be able to meet the customers needs better than a 6600.
                    Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                    Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Do you know of a particular card vendor that has the X1300 with component video out?

I suppose I could use just about any card with a DVI to HDMI cable but I've read a lot of conflicting statements about the compatibility of such configurations.

With a true component output I at least know that I'm getting the right signal out.

Also there's the issue of overscan compensation. From what I've read, nVidia's drivers have the best tools for that.

If you know of a review of an ATI part that talks about HDTV output, I'd be glad to read it. Personally, I root for ATI because they are Canadian, and I drive by there all the time.

Comment

will look into it.
                        Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)

Comment

ahh, interesting,

"YPrPb component output for direct drive of HDTV displays*
                          *with optional HDTV adapter available from ATI Online Store"

Comment

which probably means this http://shopati.ca/product.asp?sku=2537967

$50

edit: doesn't say that its compatible with the X1300, so it's either that one or some variation of it - could always email ati and ask I suppose
                            Last edited by Mehen; 18 December 2005, 01:44.

Comment

It's like impossible to find built by ATI retail hardware through distribution.

I have suppliers who are still waiting for their first delivery of ATI X800 kit.

Comment

Working...
                              X