interesting Alienware-laptop feature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• interesting Alienware-laptop feature

Now this approach might offer alternatives...

Equip a laptop with 2 video cards: a simple, power-friendly Intel and a powerfull, powerhungry nVidia. Then, just flick a switch to select which of the cards you want to use (reboot requried):

So if you need more autonomy, go for the Intel. And if you need more power, go for the nVidia.

Nice thinking.... but
    how much more power would that nVidia just showing a windows desktop compared to the Intel?
    I wonder if we might see other features being swappable like that (HDD speed: 3500/4200/5400?). And perhaps even hotswap (no reboots)?

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Apparently enough to justify putting two video cards in a single laptop.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
      Apparently enough to justify putting two video cards in a single laptop.
      Is it? I mean, it could just be a marketing idea...

(after all, I posted it here as 'interesting'...)

Jörg
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Seems rather gimmicky. Now, give me a laptop with dual video cards of the same make/model that are capable of running at the same time in combination with video out... that would be something worthwhile.
        “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

and give it a name way too fancy to be describing a computer like... I dunno... Crossfire or something
          Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
          Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Working...
          X