PDA

View Full Version : Breaking News: Huge explosion in London

Helevitia
10th December 2005, 23:17
I just saw it on the news. They didn't have any details. Not sure what it's about?

Helevitia
10th December 2005, 23:25
Here is the first link I found on it. Not much to go by yet.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051211/ts_nm/britain_explosion_dc

schmosef
11th December 2005, 00:16
shit :(

J1NG
11th December 2005, 03:34
Uh, nothing serious it appears at the moment. Move along, move along...

J1NG

Brian Ellis
11th December 2005, 04:10
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4517962.stm

Nothing serious? Tell that to the families of the 36 victims and to the owners of the damaged houses. I used to be a consultant, for 6 years, to a company housed in the grey building under the 'u' of fuel in the little map on the above link.

I suppose it would be far too much to hope that it destroyed HH's infamous roundabout. (For those who don't know it, it is a large roundabout with 5 or 6 peripheral roundabouts, each with priority to traffic already engaged, and 2-way traffic round the big'un but one way round the peripheral ones. It was designed by the town planner in a nightmare following a late cheese and lobster supper!) :( :(

J1NG
11th December 2005, 04:38
I didn't mean to trivialise the incident, merely to make a point that it doesn't appear to be a terroist incident or anything with malicous intent serious. I appologise now if I've offended anyone with my posting tone.

J1NG

Umfriend
11th December 2005, 05:53
No worries. Apparantly the worst thing about all this is that a certain roundabout wasn't destroyed by all this. :confused:

I got your meanign J1NG.

GNEP
12th December 2005, 03:44
Well there's also a big black cloud spreading southwest...

Fluff
12th December 2005, 04:03
http://www.ukpia.com/Portals/0/Repository/map_key.pdf

schmosef
12th December 2005, 07:32
I haven't been following this story too closely but the last thing I read, on one of the MSM websites, said that the explosions were unexplained but that terrorism had been ruled out.

My only question is... If they don't know the cause of the explosions, how do they know it wasn't terrorism?

Technoid
12th December 2005, 07:52
I haven't been following this story too closely but the last thing I read, on one of the MSM websites, said that the explosions were unexplained but that terrorism had been ruled out.

My only question is... If they don't know the cause of the explosions, how do they know it wasn't terrorism?

Easy, no crazy calls from terrorists taking blame :p

Dr Mordrid
12th December 2005, 08:17
That often doesn't happen until weeks later.

Dr. Mordrid

Brian Ellis
12th December 2005, 08:37
One report I heard suggested that the start was captured on a security cam and a leak of "gas" was detected. This puzzled me a little, as I don't think gas was stored there, just liquid fuels. As using the word gas for motor fuel is not in the UK customs, you can see the puzzle????? However, every report has been pretty categorical about it being an industrial accident, so I've no reason to believe otherwise.

schmosef
12th December 2005, 08:43
How do they know it was an "accident" if they don't yet know the cause?

I agree with the logic of announcing the lack of evidence of terrorism, btw. The last thing anyone wants is for a mob to form.

I just don't understand how they've been able to rule it out.

Fluff
12th December 2005, 13:02
The firefighters, had to stop because they didn't know the contents of one of the tanks. Not that shocking really. Even though the place may be completely automated. I bet the logs were kept in the site offices.

Tanks need to vent vapour.

Texaco aren't saying much.

GNEP
12th December 2005, 15:08
Texaco aren't saying much because it was a joint site managed by Total IIRC :p

Dr Mordrid
12th December 2005, 17:08
Oh....the French strike again. Wonder who they'll surrender to for this one? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:D

Dr. Mordrid

mdhome
13th December 2005, 01:22
A friend of mine lives about a 15-20 min walk from Buncefield depot and was awoken by the blast. He originally thought that his car had blown up because the entire house shook and was bathed in a bright orange glow.