Don't overclock your AMD!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't overclock your AMD!!

Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

2x the clock without a fan or heat sink?

Much like lighting a stick of dynamite while locked in a closet: if you do it you deserve the result

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

I'll have to watch this again when I'm at home. I'm pretty skeptical that they blew a chip out like that. My first thought is that they blew a squibb under it.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

look at the specs on the cpu-z, theres no way they'd be able to boot at those specs - and did it blow a hole right through the table??

edit: dont think the computer was even on, that fan WAS plugged in when he pulled it out, but wasnt spinning
        Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
        Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Not only that, but the ZIF lever looks like it wasn't actually down.

Blowing the ceramic like that takes some *serious* force. If they had had the CPU pop, it would have just cracked/lifted the metal casing on the CPU.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I thought this might be staged, I've seen plenty of semiconductors blow - but never catastrophically like this.
            Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

I've seen a bad wall wart cause a capacitor to explode and destroy a small network hub. I wonder if they're just using the CPU's heat to cook off an explosive charge that they placed in the middle of the socket? Notice the core voltage on the Duron? 4.2v!

Comment

I say staged... the core of the CPU is intact and it went up in the explotion.. what would have taken out the fiberglass board and table??
                We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Obviously staged - there's no reason why the CPU would fly up. IMHO there was a firecracker, etc. in the hole.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                    I'll have to watch this again when I'm at home. I'm pretty skeptical that they blew a chip out like that. My first thought is that they blew a squibb under it.
                    The explosion seems to have come from underneath. I'm a bit skeptical although I don't doubt that this could very well happen.

I saw this test a few years back, where they took a 486 dx33 and OC'd it to 120mhz using a fridge that could get colder than a normal fridge, and cooled the cpu using bottles of alcohol. They got it to -60C, using a vodka bottle right on the die. They managed to run Quake on that thing and had some amazing results but the CPU eventually gave and it did a LOT of damage! It left burn makrs on the inside of the fridge, leave a huge hole in the mobo and destroying 75% of the bottles used. I wish I still had the site, not sure if it exists though. They had pics and benchmarks.
                    Titanium is the new bling!
                    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Originally posted by ZokesPro
                      The explosion seems to have come from underneath. I'm a bit skeptical although I don't doubt that this could very well happen.

I saw this test a few years back, where they took a 486 dx33 and OC'd it to 120mhz using a fridge that could get colder than a normal fridge, and cooled the cpu using bottles of alcohol. They got it to -60C, using a vodka bottle right on the die. They managed to run Quake on that thing and had some amazing results but the CPU eventually gave and it did a LOT of damage! It left burn makrs on the inside of the fridge, leave a huge hole in the mobo and destroying 75% of the bottles used. I wish I still had the site, not sure if it exists though. They had pics and benchmarks.

sounds like the alcohol ignited, not the CPU blowing up

Comment

Originally posted by tjalfe
                        sounds like the alcohol ignited, not the CPU blowing up
                        Yup, that's very possible too. Wouldn't mind having the money to try this out just to see how accurate that AMD video really is. The CPU die isn't cracked though, hmmmm.
                        Last edited by ZokesPro; 9 December 2005, 08:22.

Comment

Wouldn't mind having the money to try this out
                          and use it to have a few drinks indeed!
                          Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend
                            and use it to have a few drinks indeed!
                            I meant the AMD test in the video, not the one using all those vodka bottles!

Now once you've had enough to drink, if your tired of watching CPU's explode, watch a whale explode!!

Comment

I meant the AMD test in the video, not the one using all those vodka bottles!

Now once you've had enough to drink, if your tired of watching CPU's explode, watch a whale explode!!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...78515303087869

I wish someone had a better quality version of that clip sitting around.. it is so pixelated that it would look horrible on even a miniature ipod screen

Comment

Working...
                              X