Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• server migration

Hello,

We are looking to reinstall our Windows 2003 Server, and have some things we need to sort out beforehand.
    • Is it possible to 'export' all the users and settings and import them in a new installation? (I've been looking at migrate tools, but they seem to be for migrating from NT to 2003)
    • What is the best way to do something similar to our databases (Oracle, Caché)? Perform an export of the entire databases? Or are there better ways (we're having issues with the Orcale Enterprise Manager, if we get it to work this will most likely be the best option?)

Thanks!

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

It would probably be easier to set up the new server, replicate through active directory, transfer the server roles, redirect the client machines, and then demote the original server. It worked for me and that was when I didn't know what I was doing. You can get one thing working at a time that way too instead of an all at once.

Comment

If you do find such an account transfer utility, please share.

Comment

I used a tool for doing this under Windows NT4, but I've since forgotten what it was. If I remember I'll see if they have an updated version that you could use. Claymonkey may know of something more recent as he has more recent experience with such things.
        “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

The Active Directory Migration Tool will do what you're asking for. It does migrations from NT to AD, or AD to AD. It's free too!

However, HJ's suggestion is a probably a little easier. You shouldn't really run a AD environment with only one domain controller anyway. They're designed to be very redundant, so having two or more is a big help. You should consider bringing up a new DC and leaving it up permanently.
          Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Originally posted by agallag
            The Active Directory Migration Tool will do what you're asking for. It does migrations from NT to AD, or AD to AD. It's free too!

However, HJ's suggestion is a probably a little easier. You shouldn't really run a AD environment with only one domain controller anyway. They're designed to be very redundant, so having two or more is a big help. You should consider bringing up a new DC and leaving it up permanently.
            and if the new DC is what you want as a primary, don't forget to convince that server to become the primary AD controller - no not all AD controllers are created equal.
            Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Originally posted by Sasq
              and if the new DC is what you want as a primary, don't forget to convince that server to become the primary AD controller - no not all AD controllers are created equal.
              I think the official MS line is "All DCs are created equal, but some are more equal than others."

Yes, there are 5 FSMO roles that you need to move over to the other server before you demote the original one.

Schema Master
              Domain Naming Master
              PDC Emulator
              RID Master
              Infrastructure Master

Wow, got them all from memory.

Of course, if you run dcpromo to demote the first server that holds these roles, it will automatically transfer the roles to another server at random. Since you will only have two, it won't be quite so random. It's still recommended that you do the transfers manually before the demotion though.
              Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Oh, and don't forget about DNS. If you're using the original DC for DNS as well, make sure you set up DNS on the new one and get your clients to point to both of them. AD no worky without DNS.

Comment

Sasq, Primary? There is no primary server with AD from what I've read though this can be done with one server to be backwards compatable with old NT4 backup domain controllers to aid with a transition. Please correct me if I am wrong

Also remember to turn on the "Global Catalog" on the new server and allow it to be replicated to.

Proper and forceful ways for DC to seize FSMO roles.

Edit:
                  Only use the forceful methods if the original DC is toast and if you do use the forecful methods disconnect the old DC first and never reconnect it without nuking it first.
                  Last edited by High_Jumbllama; 11 December 2005, 17:52.

Comment

I think Sasq was referring to the FSMO roles when he was talking about the "primary".

Comment

Originally posted by High_Jumbllama
                      Sasq, Primary? There is no primary server with AD from what I've read though this can be done with one server to be backwards compatable with old NT4 backup domain controllers to aid with a transition. Please correct me if I am wrong

Also remember to turn on the "Global Catalog" on the new server and allow it to be replicated to.

Proper and forceful ways for DC to seize FSMO roles.
                      You are correct, as there is only one AD it has all the FSMO rolls,
                      hence my monkier of Primary, that and my MCSE is somewhat rusty, seeing as I spend my life in a *nix environment these days.

back 4 years ago, I could have quoted the damn things from memory as well
                      Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

The only reason I remember this is due to a few saved links from when I had to do this.

Comment

Working...
                        X