Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

interesting bios feature: why not standard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• interesting bios feature: why not standard?

Hello,

We recently (a couple of months ago) purchased a Dell PowerEdge 2800. Nice server (dual Xeon, SCSI raid-5, ...), but it has a very intriguing feature in the bios. The rackmountable tower case has a front USB port, which in the bios can be adjusted to be seen as either a floppy or a CD drive.
    This feature is extremely handy if you for instance want to install Windows and you require additional storage drivers (the Windows installation procedure ONLY looks for them on floppy A: just put them on a USB storage, and be done with it.

Any ideas why a feature like this isn't more common?
    It would overcome the need for a floppy for those few occasions on which we need them.

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

I have no idea why it isn't more common, but i just noticed i have the feature in my new asus board (it can set the usb stoarage device to emulate floppy, hdd or cd-rom).

I just checked the manual and found it, so thanks for the heads up.
    Laptops: ASUS G750JM: Intel Core i7 4700HQ, 8GB RAM (DDR3-1600), Nvidia GTX 860M, 1 x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD, 1 x WD 750 GB HDD, 17,3" FHD Screen, Windows 8.1 64-bit.
    ASUS Vivobook S400CA: Intel Core i5 3317U (1,7-2,6 GHz), 8 GB RAM (DDR3-1600), Intel HD4000, 1 x 500GB HDD, 14" touch-screen (1366x768), Windows 8.1 64-bit.

Comment

Originally posted by JTD
      I have no idea why it isn't more common, but i just noticed i have the feature in my new asus board (it can set the usb stoarage device to emulate floppy, hdd or cd-rom).
      Hey, cool!

Perhaps it is a rather new feature, that is now just making its way in the mainstream market...

I just checked the manual and found it, so thanks for the heads up.
      What a forum: you get questions answered before you ask them.
      Glad to be of service!
      FWIW, on the Dell it only works on one specific port, most likely it is something similar for the Asus...

Jörg
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by VJ
        FWIW, on the Dell it only works on one specific port, most likely it is something similar for the Asus...

Jörg
        It doesn't actually say if it's only on a specific port, but if i'm going to use it, i guess i'll find out which (if not all) of the eight usb-ports it is.
        Laptops: ASUS G750JM: Intel Core i7 4700HQ, 8GB RAM (DDR3-1600), Nvidia GTX 860M, 1 x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD, 1 x WD 750 GB HDD, 17,3" FHD Screen, Windows 8.1 64-bit.
        ASUS Vivobook S400CA: Intel Core i5 3317U (1,7-2,6 GHz), 8 GB RAM (DDR3-1600), Intel HD4000, 1 x 500GB HDD, 14" touch-screen (1366x768), Windows 8.1 64-bit.

Comment

That is cool, another feature that is needed on domestic boards is 4pin pwm fans. Which are auto controlled by the MB.

Comment

Why can't the machine just boot off the usb device without emulating a floppy or CD-ROM? Or is this for older operating systems?

Comment

An OS has to have drivers to access ANY device. Most don't come with low-level USB drivers.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Aahhh. "We understand."

Comment

what I would find useful is a toggle for a one time boot that allows you to have a usb thumbdrive seen as A: so you can easily install Raid/Sata drivers. You shouldn't have to slipstream a disk or dig out a floppy drive everytime you build a new rig.
                  Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Working...
                  X