Going it alone!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going it alone!

The metric system originated in France in the 1790's, a few years after Jefferson's proposals. During the mid-nineteenth century, as expanding trade demanded a consistent set of measurements, use of the metric system spread through continental Europe. As they imported goods from Europe or exported goods to Europe, Americans became increasingly aware of the metric system. In 1866, Congress legalized its use in an act reading:

It shall be lawful throughout the United States of America to employ the weights and measures of the metric system; and no contract or dealing, or pleading in any court, shall be deemed invalid or liable to objection because the weights or measures expressed or referred to therein are weights or measures of the metric system.
    In 1875, the U.S. was one of the original signers of the Treaty of the Meter, which established the International Bureau of Weights and Measures (BIPM). This agency administers the International System of Units, the official version of the metric system. American scientists and engineers have always been among the leaders in improving, extending, and revising the metric system. The general public, however, has lagged far behind.
    In 1893, Congress adopted the metric standards, the official meter and kilogram bars supplied by BIPM, as the standards for all measurement in the U.S.
    In 1901, Congress established the National Bureau of Standards (NBS), now known as the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), to support technical standards for American industry and commerce, including the maintenance of standards of weight and measurement. In 1964, NBS announced:

Henceforth it shall be the policy of the National Bureau of Standards to use the units of the International System (SI), as adopted by the 11th General Conference of Weights and Measures, except when the use of these units would obviously impair communication or reduce the usefulness of a report.
    Congress passed the Metric Conversion Act of 1975 to speed this process along. However, American consumers generally rejected the use of metric units for highway distances, weather reports, and other common measurements, so little was accomplished except for the encouragement of faster metric conversion in various scientific and technical fields.
    In 1988, Congress passed the Omnibus Trade and Competitiveness Act, which designates "the metric system of measurement as the preferred system of weights and measures for United States trade and commerce." Among many other things, the act requires federal agencies to use metric measurements in nearly all of their activities...
    Proponents of the metric system in the U.S. often claim that "the United States, Liberia, and Burma (or Myanmar) are the only countries that have not adopted the metric system." This statement is not correct with respect to the U.S., and probably it isn't correct with respect to Liberia and Burma, either. The U.S. adopted the metric system in 1866.
    It has taken 139 years, so far, for the citizenry of the US to make a logical change. How long will it take yet?

Note that many other countries have also had some difficulties. For example, France, the home of the metric system, rounded some of their old units. Une livre (pound), for example, has been generally rounded up in common parlance from 453.6 g to 500 g, although, if you go to a baker's today and ask for une livre de pain, you will get a loaf of nominal weight of 450 g. In the UK, which metricised the country 20-odd years ago, it is now illegal - and punishable - to use imperial measures in commerce, except that you can still buy a pint of beer in your local pub. However, the road signs are still entirely in miles. This country also went metric at about the same time (including the road signs, I'm happy to say) but the Cypriots haven't really come to terms with it. OK, I buy petrol (gasoline) and milk by the litre and the 1 pound load of bread IS 500 g, but if I go to local builders' merchant and ask for some wood 5x10 cm, the vendor will say, "Oh! You mean 2x4!" but when asked how long his 2x4 is, he'll reply 4 m! If a petrol station puts up a sign at a road junction, it inevitably states that it is 300 m along this or that road, but "300 m" always means "somewhere between 300 and 3,000 m". If I act unmanly and ask someone for the directions to such and such a place, I'll be pointed in the right direction and will then be told to "turn right at the next lights and you'll see it a little way along on the left". The "little way" can never be specified and can be anything from 20 m to 10 km or more, unless your interlocutor is someone as old as I am, when he will say it is about half-a-mile and you can then bet your bottom dollar that it is 750 m ± 100 m. I was amused to see the local carpenters/joiners buy MDF panels in metric but they cut it in inches! But this is after less than 20 years, not 139!
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Good thing in PL it isn't a problem at all. The only things I can think of are TVs/monitors - but in both cases this is mostly a matter of "type" of things, not really measurement. The rest is all metric.
    Perhaps that's because the serious efforts in combatting illiteracy were at about the same time as spreading of metric system? (well, centralised and controlling government perhaps also has something to do with the fact...)
    Last edited by Nowhere; 10 December 2005, 03:33.

Comment

It has taken 139 years, so far, for the citizenry of the US to make a logical change. How long will it take yet?
      What's it to you?

Comment

Pff, metric system.
        My car gets fourty rods to the hogshead and that's the way I like it!
        (quote from the Simpsons)

FWIW, If you are a pilot, you really have to deal with these things:
        visibility is measured in metres
        cloud level in feet
        air- and groundspeed in knots (MPH in some aircraft)
        distances in nautical miles
        rate of descent/climb in ft/min (occasionally in m/s)
        fuel capacity is in US Gallons or kg

And somehow, this all makes sense...

Jörg
        Last edited by VJ; 8 December 2005, 06:44. Reason: forgot rate of climb/descent
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by VJ
          No it doesn't.
          But, after the pummeling that the right gave Jimmy Carter over this no politician here will touch this with a ten foot poll.
          We are stuck with this stupidity for the foreseeable future.
          Chuck
          秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by Jon P. Inghram
            What's it to you?
            Well, don't you think it would be nice if everyone in the world spoke the same measurement language? For example, I used to import speciality chemicals in 1, 5, 20 and 55 gal containers, for resale. As I had to sell them by the litre, it meant I had to invoice them as 3.79, 18.93, 75.71 and 208.20 litres respectively, which was not exactly convenient either for my clients' or my own stock control and costing.

Then, no longer ago than the 21st November a certain inhabitant of New Hampshire, on these very forums, at http://forums.murc.ws/showthread.php?t=54908 reproached me by posting
            ack! no english standards,conversion link
            when he was obviously not meaning English at all.

And, only yesterday, the guy who wrote the weather software I'm using said
            shame the USA have not gone metric, would have made it all so much easier
            (he's from New Zealand)

Multiply all those instances of what can be politely called insularity and you will see what it is to everyone, including many US industries that import, say, a chemical in 25 litre containers to resell it as 6.61 gallons or a 50 m roll of 1.5 m wide English worsted to resell it as 164.04 feet 59.06 inches wide. Not to mention that anyone can convert 53.52 km to 5,352,000 cm in their heads in 500 millisecs, while you need a calculator to multiply 23.47 miles to 1,487,059.2 inches. Just think of the time and money lost in conversions and the errors made, using illogical multipliers like 1 mile = 63,360 inches (yes, this conversion is used in cartography). Not to mention the $125 million lost by the Mars orbiter mishap http://edition.cnn.com/TECH/space/99...ars.metric.02/

Comment

and it definitely sounds better to say "mine is 30 cm long " instead of "mine is boring 11 inch long! ...
              "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Comment

Well, I do believe they have speed limit signs in KM/H in some states (Florida for example).

Mainly for the benefit of us Canadians, but it's a start.
                Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Originally posted by Rakido
                  and it definitely sounds better to say "mine is 30 cm long " instead of "mine is boring 11 inch long! ...
                  Stop boasting

Don't believe you, anyway!

Comment

Originally posted by cjolley
                    Originally posted by VJ
                    No it doesn't.
                    I meant: most of this information never needs to be combined, and if every instance (meteo, ...) gives the information in the proper units, there is no risk of mixing them up (there have been mix-ups between Gallons and US-Gallons though).

But eumh, wouldn't all the street signs have to be expressed in m/s ?

(actually, someone over here tried that argument to talk him out of a fine: The road sign says '50', but without a unit. As the SI standard unit for speed is m/s, he defended himself by stating he assumed the limit was 50 m/s. This of course didn't work, as the Belgian road law specifically states that the speed is expressed in kph. And as one has to know the road laws.... )

Originally posted by cjolley
                    But, after the pummeling that the right gave Jimmy Carter over this no politician here will touch this with a ten foot poll.
                    Don't you mean a 3.04800 m pole ?

Jörg
                    Last edited by VJ; 8 December 2005, 06:45.
                    pixar
                    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Personally I use metric a lot, but if it reminds visitors that they aren't in their own country anymore & to shape up then it works for me

Ex: the UN workers in NYC that act like they have diplomatic immunity when they don't

Dr. Mordrid
                      Dr. Mordrid
                      ----------------------------
                      An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

here we are officially metric, but try and tell someone your height in meter/centimeters and they have no idea..
                        how tall are you? >
                        204cm
                        no I mean in inches>
                        ..80 inches
                        no .. feet and inches>
                        5 feet 20 inches
                        no, that can't be right.. what is it really?>
                        you do the converseion, how many inches to a foot?

the sad thing is that most people still get it wrong and are not satisfied untill I say 6' 8"

Building materials are all in imperial sizes. and to make matters worse, they are not even the size they are supposed to be. E.g. a 2"x4"x8' wood stud is in reality 1.5" x 3.5" x 8' with only the length being correct.
                        I can see it being a problem to change all the standard building materials over to metric as nothing would fit with existing houses and without the americans changing at the same time, there would be too small a market for such materials.

it will be a while yet before it completely chages over
                        We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis
                          Then, no longer ago than the 21st November a certain inhabitant of New Hampshire, on these very forums, at http://forums.murc.ws/showthread.php?t=54908 reproached me by posting when he was obviously not meaning English at all.

[/url]

I had a smiley after it. I was in no way belittling your efforts or accomplishments. True, here we are not fully metric but English (imperial) was THE standard for centuries.
                          SO there
                          Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Originally posted by Dilitante1
                            I had a smiley after it. I was in no way belittling your efforts or accomplishments. True, here we are not fully metric but English (imperial) was THE standard for centuries.
                            SO there
                            Inches were not a standard length.. they were different in every country using them and used to be the length of the outer segment of the ruling kings thumb.
                            Gallons, which are imperial too are still not standard, even between the UK and the states, so there
                            We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Originally posted by tjalfe

it will be a while yet before it completely chages over

Been saying that for the past 25 years or so
                              Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Working...
                              X