WMP10 video codecs management

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WMP10 video codecs management

How do I change what default codecs WMP10 uses?

E.g. for playing back mpg it's set to elecard mped 2 decoder, and i want to change the default to nvidia purevideo decoder.

There doesent seem to be an option.

Try this:

Run the *.reg file in the attachment. This will add Register and Unregister.
    The Elecard filter is "em2vd.ax". You will have to look for it. (c:/program files/common files/elecard)

Do a right mouse click on the filter you want to suppress and click Unregister.
    Click Register if you want it back.

WMP 10 will go to the next filter to run your file. If it is not the filter you want then you
    will have to find it and do the same.

This is the method I am aware of, unfortunately by elimination not by selection.

Good Luck,

Debbie
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Debbie; 9 December 2005, 16:55.
    We pass this way only once. Make the most of it !

Comment

Thanks, I will try that. I am always a bit scared of the registry. I would hae thought that WMP10 would have a reset to default codecs button. Or at least a selection screen.

Comment

So far I've never had any problems with the "fix" and works beautyfully here.

Debbie
        We pass this way only once. Make the most of it !

Comment

you can change it without needing to unregister any filter at all. The codec you want to use needs to have a higher merit level than the next codec in line that can be used to play back the stream. Merit levels can be adjusted with DirectShow Filter Manager

Comment

Excellent. My codecs are a mess. Thanks for the link.

Comment

There are a couple programs like that filter manager. They rock, because SO MANY programs install their filters with bad values.

PowerDVD, for example, registers itself as the PENULTIMATE MPG4 codec provider, despite the fact that their MPG4 codec... well, sucks harder than Linda Lovelace.

Nero also registers itself as the be-all codec provider. Ick. Note that MOST codecs register with values of 2, 4, and 8... but that Nero and Cyberlink register with values of FF! How can anyone compete? Oh wait, they can't.

So these filter managers are, sadly, necessary.

And yet, fiddling with those settings is a little tricky... and there's no native way to do it within Windows, which is quite odd.
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              If only life were as easy as you
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              If only life were as easy as you
              I would still get screwed

Comment

The softella tool looks great. Question is I have a bunch of Mpeg... decoder DMO entries with Unknown Merit, Unknown Company Unknown Module and Unknown CLSID.

They do appear to remove with the "Remove selected filter" button and they display no properties. Anyone know what's up with these?

--wally

Comment

Wkulecz

I just tried it and got loads of unknowns. Then I ran as an Administrator and I got the true names. Are you running as a limited user? I am on XP Home + SP2

Comment

Originally posted by DarrenD
                    Wkulecz

I just tried it and got loads of unknowns. Then I ran as an Administrator and I got the true names. Are you running as a limited user? I am on XP Home + SP2
                    interesting.. then what are the Companies, or even the module names associated with:
                    Mpeg4 Decoder DMO
                    Mpeg43 Decoder DMO
                    Mpeg4s Decoder DMO
                    WMAPro over S/PDIF DMO
                    WMAudio Decoder DMO
                    WMSpeech Decoder DMO
                    WMV Screen decoder DMO
                    WMVideo Advanced Decoder DMO
                    WMVideo Decoder DMO

?

Comment

dZeus

Yes I still got all those as unknown but all the others become known when I run as Administrator. It was only meant as a suggestion to Wkulecz. I run as limited user for a little bit more security but it does cause some problems some time so I use Run As...

I also get an unknown one even though the display name is "Canon G.726 DMO Decoder" so I can guess who that is

Comment

Originally posted by DarrenD
                        dZeus

Yes I still got all those as unknown but all the others become known when I run as Administrator. It was only meant as a suggestion to Wkulecz. I run as limited user for a little bit more security but it does cause some problems some time so I use Run As...

I also get an unknown one even though the display name is "Canon G.726 DMO Decoder" so I can guess who that is
                        I was logged in as administrator. Using Windoes 2000 SP4 with all security patches.

--wally

Comment

Working...
                        X