Check out my test website

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check out my test website

I'm working on my new website all in CSS with a smattering of javascript. I'm implementing a javascript thingy that I mentioned in General... a while back. No content yet except for my resume and a couple links. Tell me what you think. Although I am making this with Firefox 1.5 on a 64 bit Linux system so I can't really test many browsers and OSes, so I'm crossing my fingers for minimum problems (well I also have dillo I guess).

Cheers,
    Thien
    Last edited by TnT; 7 December 2005, 02:46.
    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

The site works here (Firefox 1.5 on XP Pro SP2). It is possible to drag the menu as well.

FWIW, I'm working on a website using typo3, which is an open source content management system:
    TYPO3 is a free enterprise-class CMS based on PHP. It combines open source code with reliability and true scalability. This is the official project website.

It uses MySQL, and PHP, but has IMO quite a steep learning curve.
    I'm currently figuring out how to use CSS in combination with it (it is possible, it even has a CSS editor as extension).

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Opera...not so much.
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      If only life were as easy as you
      I would still get screwed

Comment

What Gurm said
        Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

IE6 SP1 Works fine.
          Firefox 1.0.4 Works Fine.
          Titanium is the new bling!
          (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
            Opera...not so much.
            Go figure. This is how it always works. Design for Firefox and it'll likely work in IE, but Opera will fall apart over it. Design for Opera and damn near everything else just looks at it and cries. Design for Webkit/KHTML, and 99% of the time it all comes out fine in other browsers - modern ones anyhow. It all has to do with base-level inconsistencies and browser developers paying lip-service to standards but deciding they know best in how to implement them. But I digress, going off-topic.

With what's there, it appears to be displaying fine in Safari, so there's your Webkit/KHTML compatibility.
            “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Originally posted by Jesterzwild
              Go figure. This is how it always works. Design for Firefox and it'll likely work in IE, but Opera will fall apart over it. Design for Opera and damn near everything else just looks at it and cries. Design for Webkit/KHTML, and 99% of the time it all comes out fine in other browsers - modern ones anyhow. It all has to do with base-level inconsistencies and browser developers paying lip-service to standards but deciding they know best in how to implement them. But I digress, going off-topic.

With what's there, it appears to be displaying fine in Safari, so there's your Webkit/KHTML compatibility.
              What about in XHTML?

Comment

Originally posted by ZokesPro
                What about in XHTML?
                Not sure what you're asking Zokes. Is this in reference to my KHTML comment, because if so, KHTML isn't another standard like XHTML, it's the library that the KDE team (Linux UI) developed for rendering (X)HTML, CSS, etc. Don't want to hijack TnT's thread, so I'm aiming for brevity.

Comment

I guess I could have been more specific.

I meant that if he coded his page using the xhtml standard, would that work in almost all browsers? Otherwise don't worry about and/or nevermind.

Comment

Originally posted by ZokesPro
                    I guess I could have been more specific.

I meant that if he coded his page using the xhtml standard, would that work in almost all browsers? Otherwise don't worry about and/or nevermind.
                    It's not so much whether he uses HTML or XHTML, it's the CSS (or basis HTML) styling that he adds to the (X)HTML that causes the issues. Part of it is the base styles that the different browsers apply to (X)HTML elements can vary, though not as much as the way that they support (or don't) the various CSS attributes. Most browsers support CSS1 perfectly well, it's the more advanced CSS2 and 3 standards (they are actually recommended specifications, but that's another topic) that they start to diverge on.

Comment

Son of gun... the original testing I did for it, thread in this forum, worked in Mozilla, IE, Opera and Safari on 3 different operating systems after a little tweaking.

I just checked on my sisters unupdated IE and the vertical column on the right was broken. It should run the full length of the page.

@VJ
                      I use Drupal as the CMS for my blog. It seems pretty feature rich but I don't do anything fancy just run the blog and picture gallery. Not using any of the community aspects.
                      Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

It's broken in Firefox 1.5 and IE 6 for me.
                        Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Okay, so IE6 doesn't support CSS tables. Will have to change how I lay out the icons. Although the page works fine for me in Opera 8.51 for Linux. I'm gonna do some rework and I'll try again and post a couple images of what it should look like. Thanks.

Comment

Okay after redesigning the menu to use an actual list (ie <ul>, <li>) for backward compatibility (easier to navigate for screen readers and non-css browsers) and actually putting up some content I have a site up. No one visits it anyways so I don't care about testing on a "live" site.

What are the supposed features:
                            * Icon box can be moved around the screen by click-holding the top bar. A 'move' cursor should appear when you hover over it.
                            * Icon box is fixed and will scroll with the screen.
                            * Clicking an icon opens a menu below it where some items have another sub-menu that opens to the side. Sub-menus hide when parent is clicked on again. Some items are just text and some are external links.
                            * 'Help' cursor appears over the question mark.
                            * All graphics are PNGs with alpha transparencies. I knew this wouldn't work in IE, but I really don't care.
                            * The column on the far right should stretch to the bottom of the page, but not when you scroll down. I'm working on that part.

Here is my testing report:

Linux, Firefox 1.5 & Opera 8.51:
                            Everything works super duper.

Linux, Konqueror:
                            Icon box is not moveable

Windows, Firefox 1.0.7:
                            Super duper

Windows, IE 6:
                            Alpha transparencies in PNGs don't work. How lame, even Dillo has that.
                            Everything else works though.

OS 10.4, Safari:
                            My girlfriend via the phone, said that the box was moveable and menus appeared.

Screenshots of what it looks like on my 'puter with Firefox 1.5 (the Crow -> Information page):

Comment

Working...
                            X