IPSec routers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IPSec routers

We just got a flash Yamaha RTX1100 in the office on my dev fiber, so now of course I want to vpn in from home.

Need a new router, IPSec ESP box, with all the usual tricks of upnp etc. I would prefer something I am using a consol to set up, as opposed to sanitized web pages.

Recomendations that won't break the bank (above router is about $1200 in the local)
    Ebaying is an option, or if any of you guys have a nice demo model floating around that you don't need

edit, link to office router, its in J, but you can see the specs easy enough.
    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Would this not work, we have this at work and it does IPsec. Has exhibited simiar reliablility as a Technics Sl1200.

The AR320S.

But this one is IPv6 Ready AR450S and does ESP and lots of other things.

and is in your price range.

Console based , hope this helps.

Comment

My price range is much less then what the office paid. Sadly, though that is a very nice router.
      *goes off to look on ebay.
      Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

People working from home use a Nortel VPN client called Contivity, with a RSA key. (didnt set it up but it seems to work).

There is a link to some kind of evaluation here.

Comment

that may be an option until I can convince the boss, he really wants to spend money on my home router
          Juu nin to iro

Comment

I wish you luck

PS Didn't know Yamaha made routers... until now.

Comment

As you may have noticed, its a Local thing only.
              It's not a bad router, and if i force the consol to ascii, I get English help - though the 3 trees that died to make the manuals only suply me with Japanese.
              Juu nin to iro

Comment

well after digging around, and while I am loath to have a full second box running, I found something that is a partial solution.

Very small footprint, cheap, and they also sell ATA->CF card flash memory adaptors. So even if there is a 'second' box running, at least I don't have to run a drive.
                Juu nin to iro

Comment

Sasq, what about the Linksys WRT routers with the Linux ROM flash?
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Surely there must be a market in, erm, "surplus" company equipment like this in Tokyo?
                    DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                      I've got the WRV54, had nothing but problems trying to get it to work for VPN. Numerous calls to tech support and various reflashes - took nearly a good week to get it working
                      Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

actually after a little further investigation, I am considering rolling my own, be a little bit off however.

hardware is herehere

with a nice howto on rolling the nix install here

Also need to work out the upnp.

if it comes up all shiney - and I warn this router is not for the faint hearted, who wants a rolled instal?
                        Juu nin to iro

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                          can it handle the 100Mbit fibre connection though?.. most home routers cannot do more than 10Mbit.. at least that used to be the case
                          We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Working...
                          X