Dell 3007 on Dec 21 - Refreshes of the 2005 and 2405 in Feb/Mar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dell 3007 on Dec 21 - Refreshes of the 2005 and 2405 in Feb/Mar

Dell to release the new 30" display to compete with the Apple 30" on December 21st. Sweet!

I'm also hearing that the 2007 and 2407 (updates to the 2005 and 2405) will be out in the spring time.

Too bad the refresh on the Dell 30" isn't good enough for games (14ms).

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

.. drools..

Anyhow, what gaming capable video card can drive such a beast at full resolition?
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

good point tjalfe.

i'd guess you'd need one of those dual dvi cards where the driver is able to drive half the display on each port.
      P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Yeah, but my computer's not too shabby, and it has trouble running a lot of things at my native 1680x1050.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Yeah?

I've had no problems running two screens at 1680x1050 and one at 1280x1024. I have an ATI 9800Pro AGP driving one 1680x1050 and a Matrox P650 PCI running the other two screens.

The only issue I have is that playing video on the screens driven via PCI isn't quite as smooth as with the AGP driven screen. Otherwise, no performance loss at all.

Comment

hrm... wonder if that means there will be a few more 2005fpw sales so I can pick up another one..... I NEEEEDS two!!!!
            Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by schmosef
              Yeah?

I've had no problems running two screens at 1680x1050 and one at 1280x1024. I have an ATI 9800Pro AGP driving one 1680x1050 and a Matrox P650 PCI running the other two screens.

The only issue I have is that playing video on the screens driven via PCI isn't quite as smooth as with the AGP driven screen. Otherwise, no performance loss at all.

You talking games? I know i have problems with my 2405FP and my X800XL
              Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Originally posted by schmosef
                Yeah?

I've generally noticed a difference when running video on secondary cards. It might just be a bandwidth on the PCI bus problem though. Especially if you have a stand alone audio card (*cough* creative). For the heck of it I'd be interested to see what would have if the p650 was the only vid card in the system.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Claymonkey
                  I've generally noticed a difference when running video on secondary cards. It might just be a bandwidth on the PCI bus problem though. Especially if you have a stand alone audio card (*cough* creative). For the heck of it I'd be interested to see what would have if the p650 was the only vid card in the system.
                  Yeah, I assumed it was a PCI bus issue.

Comment

Originally posted by GT98
                    You talking games? I know i have problems with my 2405FP and my X800XL
                    I don't game much on my PC. My most recent games are Age of Mythology and Chessmaster. Haven't had time for much of either in a long time.

I do game on my XBox. But not much of that lately either. I did finish LoTR III recently.

Of the games I've tried, I've been able to run at very high resolutions without much trouble. I remember trying Prince of Persia 2 once and although it was very playable at full rez, I found it was smoother at a lower rez so I played it that way.

Come to think of it, I did try a demo for Starship Troopers a few weeks ago and it ran like a dog at every resolution. I just figured that the game wasn't well optimized.

Comment

I was talking about gaming. I can run HL2 well, but HDR maps drop it to like 30fps.
                      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I'm looking forward to this one... but 2 x top spec nvidia cards in SLi would probaly struggle a bit.

Comment

I have to say games and movies look VERY PURTY on my 2005fpw. I have a Samsung 730B sitting right next to it and it's literally night and day. The Samsung is far brighter but the color saturation isn't nearly as good and it's a noticeably cooler in color, this makes watching video on it noticeably less enjoyable. The Dell is a much warmer looking device. Here's to hoping the new 3007's repeat this trend of excellence. The more flatpanels I work on in the field the more I realize the Dell flatpanels are just plain good.

Comment

I have sen the 2005fpw. I agree that it looks amazing and has razor sharp text, unfortunately, games still ghost and sometimes you actually miss things. For instance, my buddy hooked up his Xbox and popped in a Baseball game. The meter that you use to gauge how hard you hit the ball is all messed up because of the response time. Some times the meter actually disappears and then reappears as it is moving.
                            Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by Helevitia
                              I have sen the 2005fpw. I agree that it looks amazing and has razor sharp text, unfortunately, games still ghost and sometimes you actually miss things.
                              Not on mine. Is he using DVI?

For instance, my buddy hooked up his Xbox and popped in a Baseball game. The meter that you use to gauge how hard you hit the ball is all messed up because of the response time. Some times the meter actually disappears and then reappears as it is moving.
                              Disappear and reappear? Sorry, that's not the monitor. I can't imagine MS having a bug

Comment

Working...
                              X