Flash to be integrated into Adobe Reader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flash to be integrated into Adobe Reader

As just one example of the joy that shall spring forth from the Macromedia acquisition, Adobe plans to roll Flash into Adobe Reader:

How long will it take to integrate Flash Player and Adobe Reader?
    It will be a multiyear effort. Ultimately, our goal is to combine both in a single client. Combining PDF and Adobe Reader with Flash and the Flash Player will allow us to deliver a truly ubiquitous platform that sits on virtually every device. We will build on that to create compelling customer solutions.
    From the Products/technology section of the Acquisition FAQ.

I can see the benefits to having a single client application serving dual functions, but I hope Flash's existing issues aren't exacerbated by Reader's horrible load-time.
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

not to mention the horribly large download size for the reader
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

So much for Flex being an emerging dev platform of merit...
      P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

I do wonder about Flex and even ColdFusion, given neither have equivalents in Adobe's product line. Give Flash is such a key web-technology, it might be safe to assume that Flex still has a future. Adobe's web development offerings have always fallen behind those of Macromedia's, so any of those belonging to the latter are likely to remain in the new lineup (Dreamweaver replacing GoLive).

Comment

They need to work more on ensuring that Flash apps work consistently across all platforms and not try to add more complexity to the pot at the same time.

Currently, there are too many hacks and tricks required to make a flash app work the same on a Mac as on a PC.

They've also got to do a lot more work on developing the Flex architecture. They don't even have a version for .Net yet. Last I heard they also hadn't yet released the Mac version of Flex 2.

Wasting resources to integrate Acrobat, an already ubiquitous product designed to solve a different product, doesn't make a lot of sense at this point.

Seems like a decision made by middle management. They probably think that if they combine the products they can cut the number of developers on the payroll.

What's next? Are they gonna fully integrate Illustrator into Flash and drop it as a separate product?
          Last edited by schmosef; 5 December 2005, 14:16.

Comment

There's a book, The 22 Immutable Laws of Branding, that's full of case studies of companies who tried to extend a niche brand and ended up confusing the marketplace.

By turning Flash into a kitchen sink app they're opening the door for a competitor to identify and exploit their inability to focus on the core market.

Comment

Adobe has changed part of the FAQ to now read:
              What are Adobe's plans for Flash Player and Adobe Reader?
              Our long-term plan is to develop a 'universal client' by combining PDF, Flash and HTML in a single, integrated runtime. Of course, we will continue delivering the Flash Player as a small, efficient runtime for content and applications on the web, and Adobe Reader for viewing and interacting with PDF documents and forms. The integration of these technologies into a unified framework creates a ubiquitous platform that runs on virtually every device, and dramatically expands the opportunities to create compelling solutions.
              So it appears they've quickly reacted to some of the semi-negative comments that have been springing up around the net.
              Last edited by Jessterw; 6 December 2005, 13:42.

Comment

Good, because they were about to combine two of the buggiest, bloated products of all time.
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
                X