Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Dark Beer thread

I don't drink much beer, but when I do it is almost always Negra Modelo

But while we were on our Cruise I desided to branch out and asked the bar tender for something dark besides NM. (I prefer dark beer)

He came up with Guinness Extra Stout and I really liked it.
    Kinda tastes like beer mixed with coffee.

I thought to myself: "Where can I get more recomendations about beer?"

Naturally MURC came to mind.

So, whats the scoop, dark beer wise?

TIA
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Guinness Extra Stout is defiently an excelent choice.

Back home we have a saying (bad scottish accent) 'ach I'm hungry, think i'll have a Stout' we are of course refering to Coopers Stout

Sadly getting bottled outside of the Southern part of Oz is difficult, however there is always Homebrew which I can even find here.
    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

I hardly know where to begin... you're such an - for lack of a better word - infant. Untainted, pliable... hmm.

Well, you aren't going to get much smoother than a Guiness. Seriously. If you don't mind things a little more dangerous, you could delve into the world of other stouts or porters. Dark Lagers might make you happy (for example Sam Adams' Winter Lager, or Black Lager).

If you want to stray a little lighter but stay in the same vein as Guinness, try Boddington's. Same smooth nitrogenated feel (same type of cans, with the auto-nitrogenator), but in an ale instead of a stout.

You have to try a few things, and see what strikes your fancy.
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      I would still get screwed

Comment

I love regular Guinness Draught, but the Extra Stout tasted like fermented tires.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
          ...same type of cans...
          Cans?
          Bottles only and drunk from a glass please.

So I took your advice and tried some Porter.
          Flat, watery and darker than the Extra Stout.
          I liked it, but not as much as the Guinness.

Let the exploration continue!
          Chuck
          秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by cjolley
            Cans?

So I took your advice and tried some Porter.
            Flat, watery and darker than the Extra Stout.
            I liked it, but not as much as the Guinness.

Let the exploration continue!
            Flat, watery porter? What brand? They vary widely, and very few are... watery or flat.

And my bad - didn't see that you said extra stout.
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            I would still get screwed

Comment

Don't know if it's availble down there, but I've become partial to Sleeman Original Dark , and also their Fine Porter
              Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Cjolley, do you generally prefer dark roasted flavored beers (stout, porter) or also dark ales?
                Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
                Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
                Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

There is always Leffe Brown

Wow there is a website called www.ratebeer.com

Their favourite dark beer is from WI by a brewing co called Calumet.
                  Last edited by Fluff; 4 December 2005, 08:54.

Comment

Originally posted by cjolley
                    Cans?
                    No, actually. Guiness is a definite exception. Their cans contain a nitrogen pack. Open the can, pour the entire thing into a pint glass, and you're pretty well off.

Another fun beer is New Belgium 1554 Black Ale. Dark, tasty, though intentionally not as heavy as a stout.
                    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I second what Wombat said.
                      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by KeiFront
                        Cjolley, do you generally prefer dark roasted flavored beers (stout, porter) or also dark ales?
                        Good question.
                        But as I like the Negra Modelo and the Extra Stout, I guess either (or both).
                        You guys recomend them and I'll give em' a try.
                        Chuck
                        秋音的爸爸

Comment

I guess Sleeman is available in the US, here through only a few distributers
                          Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

I'm only gonna recommend belgian beers, hey I'm living in belgium a beer geek's paradise so I hope you don't mind. And only dark/brown ales.

Trappists:
                            Westvleteren 12, it's as good as they say but very hard to find even in Belgium, ok I know a few local pubs in the neighborhood that have it but you always pay a little price premium. So if your local shop has a bottle of it it's a must buy .

Rochefort, the best trappist there is (except for Westvleteren ), it has a really good aftertaste.

In general all trappist are good; Westmalle, Westvleteren, Chimay, Rochefort, Orval, Achelse Kluis.

Ales:
                            Leffe Brown (Double), is also really good, woman overhere like to sweeten it a bit with sirup (groseille). You can get it in every pub overhere altough I prefer the Leffe Tripel or the Radieuse (more bitternes).

Kasteelbier, very dark beer but also really sweet (at least to my taste).

Gulden Draak, a nice fruity malty taste also a really dark beer.

I gonna stop now, because I could go on and on .
                            Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
                            Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
                            Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Can't beat a lovely pint of hand-pulled Tetley's. Lovely and creamy and mmmmm nice. But it doesn't travel well or keep well so only drink it in a pub in Yorkshire that serves a lot of it and keep their pipes clean
                              DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Working...
                              X