Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Astronaut Cooper to take one last flight...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Astronaut Cooper to take one last flight...

http://www.space.com/astronotes/astronotes.html

Susan Cooper, the widow of Mercury astronaut Gordon "Gordo" Cooper who died in October 2004, said Thursday that her husband's ashes will be included in the memorial payload to be launched on-board a commercial expendable rocket scheduled for no earlier than March 2006, Alan Boyle with MSNBC.com reported.
    "In life, Gordon would have taken another trip into space... so I figured, why not now?" Cooper told Boyle.
    The launch was arranged by Space Services, a company co-founded by Cooper's fellow Mercury astronaut Donald "Deke" Slayton specializing in "post-cremation memorial spaceflights."
    Cooper's remains will be carried spaceward on the Falcon 1, a yet-to- be space tested launch vehicle built by Space Exploration Technologies (SpaceX), along with a Pentagon satellite and the ashes of more than 170 people including actor James "Scotty" Doohan of Star Trek fame.
    Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

I wonder (doubt...) if they'll give it escape velocity or at least scatter the ashes...otherwise this is mostly putting more space junk up, at least until deorbitting...

Comment

How did he die?

Comment

Gordo suffered from cardiovascular problems for some time and eventually died of heart failure. It was 47 years to the day after Sputnik was launched.

Dr. Mordrid
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
        X