Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good help is hard to find

*sigh*

I had this guy working for me for about a year, he quit about two years ago (on the verge of being let go for various reasons).

I hired him because he had more M$ SQL experience than I did and I needed someone to focus on DB development while I was growing the business and developing UI techniques with ASP.Net.

For a bunch of projects I'd asked him to do small bits of R&D to figure out ways to get certain things done.

He always came back with solutions that I didn't think were optimal, but would swear that he'd done the research and had found the only way to get that thing done...

After he left, little by little, as I was managing the code he'd developed, I invariably found better methods to accomplish all those little processes I'd had him develop--paid him to develop.

Today, I just found that I could do something in SQL that he swore couldn't be done. For a couple of years I'd just assumed that he was right. Today, I realised that if I could do that thing it would make my project's architecture much cleaner and also realised that I had no reason to assume he was correct.

Well... that thing that he said wouldn't work... just worked on my first try.

It was less than a five minute test to prove it would work... And I remember telling him to try exactly what I just tried.

I'm sure that the guy meant well, but he just wasn't up to the task.

Running a business is hard. You have to trust people. And sometimes they f**k you.

(this is by far NOT my worst employee horror story)
    P.S. You've been Spanked!

Given your discription he probably was qualified for another position:

middle management

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Lol,

If you can't work with them 'promote' them.

Comment

Working...
      X