Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mars ice cap: 1.8 km of nearly pure water

Water ice today

Researchers with the Mars Advanced Radar for Subsurface and Ionospheric Sounding instrument on board the orbiter also presented their observations of the northern polar ice cap and evidence of subsurface ice, which is published today in the online version of the journal Science.

From the reflection and absorption intensities of the 1.8-kilometer-thick ice cap, they have determined that it is nearly pure water.

"The dust component must be very small – two percent or less based on absorption," said MARSIS co-principal investigator Jeffrey Plaut.
    Rocket fuel on tap if you're using nuclear thermal propulsion or use a small reactor to dissociate the water into hydrogen and oxygen. More than enough O2 to support astronauts too.

Even if not at the poles it looks like there's a lot of subsurface ice elsewhere....

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 30 November 2005, 22:18.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

I know this the final scientific "proof" that it is water....but I can help remembering seeing pictures of mars 5-10 years back, and saying "that $@# polar cap must be ICE!!"

They should have just asked me

Great news tho, now we have to just start sending equipment so they can setup up a proper mars colony, I reckon 10-20 years of sending equipment and then we can think about sending people.

Comment

Wouldn't it be great if we could grow food and livestock there, perhaps even dig for oil?
      Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
      [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

That would be some really expensive petroleum.

Comment

Somehow, the first thing that came to mind was:
          "Cool, more water to polute!"

(sorry, didn't mean to depress you guys)

Jörg
          pixar
          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

cool drinks on tap, no shortage of ice........all the solar wind you can handle, sounds like a great place to visit
            Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Originally posted by Marshmallowman
              Great news tho, now we have to just start sending equipment so they can setup up a proper mars colony, I reckon 10-20 years of sending equipment and then we can think about sending people.
              Red Mars, Green Mars, Blue Mars
              Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
              ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

perhaps even dig for oil?
                You do realise oil is ancient decayed organic material...eg plants, animals
                If you found oil on mars you pretty much proved life existed on mars

Comment

Working...
                X