• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anand: Yonah (Pentium-M dualcore)

Business Winstone:

Multimedia:

Video rendering:

3D rendering:

Bottom line: save for power savings Intel's treading water. In terms of video encoding they're sinking like a rock.

Dr. Moirdrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

thats quite disappointing

The comparision is with 512k cache X2's, yet the yonahs got a total 2mb cache and still gets beaten.
    Why not the 2x1mb X2's or 939 opterons which have 2x1mb cache and the 165 is (sometimes)cheaper than the 3800x2

Add to that it requires a new chipset..FFS whens intel going to get its shit together

Comment

to Add, the new athlon 64's(m2) to come out next year will use ddr2, so the power consumption of athlon 64's systems is going to drop soon.

The turion is not a power hog anyway, couple it with ddr2 and good effiecent componets and you probably have laptop with better battery life than Pentium M's.

From what I have read turions are already very power usage competitive, they just loose out on other components like video and wifi that gets integrated.(and ddr1)

Comment

Originally posted by Marshmallowman
        to Add, the new athlon 64's(m2) to come out next year will use ddr2, so the power consumption of athlon 64's systems is going to drop soon.
        Does signalling use that much power really? The CPU doesn't power the RAM itself, just I/O.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Does signalling use that much power really? The CPU doesn't power the RAM itself, just I/O.
          I was thinking of total power usage for a system, having said that ddr/ddr2 power usage difference is only of the order 20%

Comment

Originally posted by Marshmallowman
            thats quite disappointing

The comparision is with 512k cache X2's, yet the yonahs got a total 2mb cache and still gets beaten.
            Why not the 2x1mb X2's or 939 opterons which have 2x1mb cache and the 165 is (sometimes)cheaper than the 3800x2

Add to that it requires a new chipset..FFS whens intel going to get its shit together
            ???? Being a LAPTOP CPU i think those scores are awesome!! The same tech used on a desktop cpu using at least double the power and MORE than +50% clock speed would be amazing!!

...and just wait for the 45nm, dont count intel out of anything yet http://theinquirer.net/?article=25512
            Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
            Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Actually it is quite a good cpu, I was just hoping for a bit more of an intel comback

PS single core turions(1mb cache) running at 2.2 are available now and will likely give yonah a good run for its money.
              Thing is a dual core turion's are currently in testing now, and from what I have heard they will be released at about the same time as yonahs official release. So its still a bit of yawn for me.

Also turion is 64bit, yonah is not and intel has stated adding 64bit will increas the power usage of yonah significantly.

The only reason anandtech used desktop X2's(bottom of the range ones at that) is because they don't have access to dual core turions.

They whole things is still to early to jump to conclusions, as the whole preview is a bit half assed..eg differing cache sizes, desktop/laptop chips....bleh

Comment

For a laptop CPU I think it's a great chip. I was actually hoping for a bit less power consumption, though. Oh well. Maybe the dual-core Turions will hit next year, too. That would make a beastly laptop.
                “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I look at it as disappointing given all the hype about how it could be turned into a "killer" desktop CPU family. Yes, it's hot for some uses but as far as multimedia goes it's a DOG.

Of course every CPU's multimedia score could be made irrelevent if the ATI X1000/Avivo XCode encoding scores, which I must admit are starting to look impressive;

Dr. Mordrid
                  Dr. Mordrid
                  ----------------------------
                  An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
                  X